mp3 player and amplifier in one??
Jul 11, 2015 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LandonO

New Head-Fier
Is there such a thing as an mp3 player and an amplifier in one? I would love the convenience for so many situation I find myself in everyday since I'm always on the move. Thanks in advance.

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 8
Not trying to be funny, but not sure what you mean by this... all mobile audio players have built-in amplifiers - you wouldn't be able to power headphones from them or hear anything otherwise! Are you asking which DAP has the best integrated amp?

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 8
Is there such a thing as an mp3 player and an amplifier in one? I would love the convenience for so many situation I find myself in everyday since I'm always on the move. Thanks in advance.

Maybe a better question is what is a good mp3 player with a good built in headphone amplifier.

State a budget and we will recommend a good bang for the buck mp3 player (with headphone amp).

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 8
Under 100. Thanks(I'm a total noob at this)

DAP, Digital Audio Player (modern term for an mp3 player), for use with headphones.
Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip, 4GB, $45, comes with a slot for Micro-SD cards
Rockbox firmware can be installed for increased features and controls.

Sony E series mp3 players, 4GB, 8GB or 16GB fixed memory (no Micro-SD slot)
Long battery life and bigger screen the the Clip Zip.
Can not play FLAC audio files
$40-$80 for used ones on eBay.
Currently using the Sony E474 myself :)

FiiO X1, $99, got to test one for 10 days :)
Has an Micro-SD slot and can play FLAC audio files.
More powerful headphone amplifier then the Sandisk or Sony E series.

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 8
Ihifi 770 or 770c. Mp3 and beyond.

UI can seem challenging but not a big deal. Two different sound signatures can be had due to two unique outputs aside eq options.

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 8

Under 100. Thanks(I'm a total noob at this)

You don't always need to strap an amp onto one, it depends a lot more on what you're driving with them. The Fiio X1 is rated for 100mW per channel output - that's more powerful than some cheaper amps and way more powerful than most big brand players with only around 5mW to 15mW output at comparable distortion levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back