MP3 playback on a PSP
Jun 7, 2005 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Frangible

New Head-Fier
I've been trying MP3 playback on a Sony PSP, and the audio quality is quite good, with one minor flaw; there is no customizable EQ.

The two pair of headphones I have are the Sony MDR-V6 and MDR-EX71. Both, I find, are pretty decent headphones, I prefer the V6, but both have a rather harsh spot at about 3-6Khz I normally attenuate out through the equalizer.

However, that is not an option with the PSP. Thus, there's the rather harsh 3-6khz spot. Which is a pity, because the V6s sound pretty damn good when you can EQ that out.

As tempting as the Shure E4Cs look, is there a better solution to my problem?

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:59 AM Post #5 of 6
I use my PSP for light listening. It sounds ok with EX71SLs, but sounds worse when matched with SR80s for whatever reason. The lack of EQ is a major flaw as a DAP IMO. The battery life is 10 hours more or less when u only use it as a DAP. It will fall close to half of that when playing games.

Since it has such a massive screen I always wanted something to fiddle around with while listening to music. Something like that minigame in ridgeracer. I feels like a waste to not use that screen when when music.

Jun 8, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 6
I agree with the above sentiments. Sony could have included at least a visualization effect of some wort (like geiss for Winamp). I probably wouldn't use it that often, as I usually turn off the screen to conserve the battery when I'm using it as an mp3 player, but it would be a nice feature to have.

Hopefully, further firmware updates will have more features. Even better would be if the community finally figures out how to bust open and write a more configurable firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back