MP3 Normalization
Sep 17, 2002 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BeeEss

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if anybody has a good suggestion for some sort of app that would normalize the volume on a given set of MP3 files... I have them from a variety of sources and some are louder than others. I know I could search for something but I thought someone here might have a good suggestion. I'm sending the MP3's to a CF card for the NEXII player, and when I walk to class the player stays in my pack so it's not very easy to fiddle with the volume controls. Thanks in advance, BeeEss

Sep 17, 2002 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 5
I've been using MP3Gain Link It's been working pretty well for me.

Phil

Sep 19, 2002 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 5
i would use Sound Forge's normalization feature. it allows you to normalize to a RMS value... and the normalization feature also has a built in compressor/limiter. so, pick a RMS value (loudness) that you want your music to be normalized to, and Sound Forge will do the rest.

i'm not sure how MP3gain works, but most normalizers i have seen only normalize to a peak value... but that is hardly how loud your song really is. for example... maybe you have a really soft piano piece, but for some reason there is a huge but short spike somewhere. well, with a peak normalizer, the spike would be normalized to 0db... but everything else would be quiet in relation to that spike. but with RMS normalization, the whole song would be at a maximized volume.

anyway... Sound Forge's normalization is the simplest to use and produces the best results... the best thing to do is of course run your own compressor/limiter plug-in, and dial in the settings according to your type of music....... but that takes too much time for just making a compilation cd.

dean

Sep 19, 2002 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 5
yeah, i just read that link in Zin_Ramu's reply.... it seems like MP3gain is also one of those peak maximizers. you really should try the normalizer in sound forge. it makes everything so much easier. everything will be the same volume, with no clipping. just be careful not to make them too loud... then you will hear the effects of over-compression: everything would sound like that famous Daft Punk song..... forgot the song's name.... "One More Time" comes to mind.

dean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back