MP3 HDD Shootout (Digital World 12.03)
Jan 29, 2004 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Traveller

500+ Head-Fier
Hi2all!

I did a search for reviews, but found no mention of the following, even though the magazine article discussed below will be considered "outdated" in this business...
tongue.gif

I am currently situated in Vienna (AUT) and forced to resort to German mags (sniff) for my [offline] reading pleasure. I picked up a copy of PC Welt - Digital.World, issue 1/04. The publication hit the stands beginning Dec. and thus the info is stoneage-old and the article must have been turned in by the author sometime in Oct.-Nov.

None the less, I think the shootout was interesting & can offer a bit of news. There were 10 candidates, but I will only list those that were in the top, particularly in audio reproduction which is more important to me.

Overall Score (1-10, based on the usual stuff - audio quality, build, functionality (weighting N/A):

iRiver iHP-100...... 9.0 (Shootout Winner
biggrin.gif
)
Apple iPOD 20GB*.... 7.6
Creative Jukebox3... 7.6
Creative Zen NX..... 7.2
Philips HDD 100..... 7.5
MPIO HD-100......... 7.3
*Note, the article labled the iPOD as "2nd generation". I'm not sure how to tell the difference between 2G & 3G iPODs, but find it difficult to believe considering the 3G's been out for a while now! The pics show the current-style body (4 buttons) & a docking station.

Frequency roll-off tests for ext-amp*, HP-out & recording:
iRiver iHP-100..... 0.1dB/ 0.1dB/ 3.1dB to 15KHz
Apple iPOD 20GB.... 0.2dB/ 8.2dB/ NA
Creative Jukebox3.. 0.6dB/ 6.0dB/ 1.0dB to 15KHz
Creative Zen NX.... 0.2dB/ 4.1dB/ NA
Philips HDD 100.... 0.2dB/ 3.7dB/ 2.6dB to 15KHz
MPIO HD-100........ 0.1dB/ 2.3dB/ NA
*External Amp, meaning that the portable was connected to an external system to rate the quality of the signal itself. It is not clear if line-out was used wherever possible (but it's assumed).

The above values corrolate to some freq. graphs that show Bass roll-off. Most notably (as paraphrased from the author, Reinhard Paprotka), the iPOD'S HP-out has terrible measurments however the line-out is very good. iHP-100 scores top-honors in both (
biggrin.gif
)

As for recording which is limited to half of the listed players, (I assume) based on the above figures that the Jukebox3 takes the honor.

btw, The "Headphone test" was performed with a simulated 27-Ohm load. While the shootout saw fit to rate (in points) the subjective sound test with the provided HPs (what were they thinking...) they at least performed the same (subjective) tests with a pair of Koss Portapros. Hence, their verdict of the iHP having excellent HP-out quality was based on the Portapros & measurements. The iPod got slapped around a lot in this category....

Battery Tests (using 128Kbps MP3s, h:m)
iRiver iHP-100..... 12:20
Apple iPOD 20GB.... 08:00
Creative Jukebox3.. 10:00
Creative Zen NX.... 13:00
Philips HDD 100.... 12:30
MPIO HD-100........ 10:30

The NX is king of the hill (& with a replaceble batt. too!)

As usual, the review must be taken with a grain of salt but having noted their use of Portapros, not to mention the measurements, it is reasonable to conclude that they put some effort into the review.

Jan 29, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 12
It's strange they've got a measurement for the Zen NX lineout, I mean it doesn't even have a lineout.

Jan 29, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
I mean it doesn't even have a lineout.

Ouch... so much for my ability to translate German to English...
redface.gif

Mag says, "Ueber Hi-Fi Anlage" which literally translates to "via Stereo System". Of course, I assumed this was some oddball way of saying "line-out". Now I've got no idea what the hell they tested
frown.gif

All I can think of is that they tested line-out using an external amp and used HP-out where no line-out was available. But w/o bypassing the internal HP driver, it's apples & oranges!

Sorry to everyone: will edit the original post as soon as I figure out how they got those figures...
redface.gif

*Edit* Translator Wanted
Willing to translate the following (Test Methodology):

"Die Messergebnisse umfassen die Frequenzgaenge fuer den Betrieb an der Hi-Fi-Anlage und im simulierten Kopfhoererbetrieb, also mit einem Lastwiederstand von 27 Ohm."

Renumeration: a smiley (or two)
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
The JB3 has a second battery compartment which doubles battery life.

Ah... yes, that's what it says on the teeny-weeny footnote which I neglected to read...
biggrin.gif

The blood's blurring my vision, but I'm still standing... who's next?!?
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 12
Hmmm....so they have an ihp-110 in Germany? How is it different from an ihp-100 or ihp-120?

Jan 29, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 12
Hmmm....so they have an ihp-110 in Germany? How is it different from an ihp-100 or ihp-120?

Jan 30, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan the audioman

The iHP-110 was a total fabrication on my part to see if you were paying attention, Dan...
Jesus H, I'm batting a thousand on this one...
blink.gif

Jan 30, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 12
Gotcha
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #10 of 12
I used BabelFish to translate that phrase and got:

The results of measurement cover the frequency responses for the enterprise at the Hi-Fi-plant and in the simulated headphone enterprise, thus with load reconditions of 27 ohms.

Whatever that means. I hope its what you wanted
confused.gif

Jan 30, 2004 at 7:56 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by zidric
I used BabelFish

Babelfish...? Zidric, Zidric...Zidric! Youv'e hurt my feelings, dude... sniff, Mein Deutsch ist aber nicht sooooo schlect
wink.gif

"Travelfish" gets you a bit closer:
Measurements performed both with a Stereo System & simulated HP Load of 27 Ohms.

The question is if this means the testers hooked up the portable with either L-out or HP-out... ambiguous.

*Edit* I've made my final changes to the original post, choosing "external amp" for line-out and even decided to change line-in to "recording" because that's what the article says.... You are now free to perform your own extrapolation, lol
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2004 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 12
"The results of measurement cover the frequency responses for the enterprise at the rear-Fi-plant and in the simulated headphone enterprise, thus with load reconditions of 27 ohms"

Google Language Tools
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back