MP3 Gain - Step by step....
Jul 7, 2005 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ZackT

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Over the last few months I've seen a lot of threads mentioning MP3 Gain as a way to make the iPods equaliser more useable.

I'm really intrigued to try this as with my ER6's and E4c's whenever I increase the bass on the eq I get terrible distortion and I hear this will fix it.

blessingx has been a great help and he has links to MP3 gain in his signature.

But I really need Step by step instructions on how to use MP3 Gain and AAC gain on Mac OSX. I downloaded the software from the links but it appears I have to use programming/scripting to get it to work? Please be gentle with me I'm only a graphics guy and just need “really” basic step by step instructions as to how to do this from someone who has done this already on a Mac.

I'd appreciate your help guys.

ZT

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 16
Have I asked too much?

I thought it would really help those that are not so computer-literate to be taken through the process of MP3 Gain.

OK, I guess despite all the talk this can't really be done? Thanks for your help though guys.

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT
Hi,

Over the last few months I've seen a lot of threads mentioning MP3 Gain as a way to make the iPods equaliser more useable.

I'm really intrigued to try this as with my ER6's and E4c's whenever I increase the bass on the eq I get terrible distortion and I hear this will fix it.

blessingx has been a great help and he has links to MP3 gain in his signature.

But I really need Step by step instructions on how to use MP3 Gain and AAC gain on Mac OSX. I downloaded the software from the links but it appears I have to use programming/scripting to get it to work? Please be gentle with me I'm only a graphics guy and just need “really” basic step by step instructions as to how to do this from someone who has done this already on a Mac.

I'd appreciate your help guys.

ZT

Bah.. You don't need to use mp3gain. I think that the problem with the iPod's equalizer is that it can cause digital clipping to occur. Since you're a graphics guy, the closest analogy to digital clipping is when you apply a sharpening filter and the filter's coefficients and the image cause the new value to be brighter than what can be stored at that pixel.

Assuming that's the problem, you can try changing the volume adjustment to -50% to -75% by highlighting all of your files in iTunes, select File::Get Info (on windows, at least. I don't know about the Mac version of iTunes), changing the volume adjustment, and resynching with your iPod.

If I were you, I'd try playing with the volume adjustment on one of your files to find out what the best adjustment should be. Since you're using the bass booster equalizer setting, the volume adjustment should probably be -50%. I am, however, making a guess at this.

(Assuming the equalizer settings in iTunes match the equalizer settings in the iPod, it looks like the bass booster setting is increasing one of the frequency bands by about 6 dB. Amplifying a signal by 6dB is about equal to a gain of two. If the signal is ever larger than half full-scale amplitude, you will hear clipping.)

Jul 7, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffc
Bah.. You don't need to use mp3gain. I think that the problem with the iPod's equalizer is that it can cause digital clipping to occur. Since you're a graphics guy, the closest analogy to digital clipping is when you apply a sharpening filter and the filter's coefficients and the image cause the new value to be brighter than what can be stored at that pixel.

Assuming that's the problem, you can try changing the volume adjustment to -50% to -75% by highlighting all of your files in iTunes, select File::Get Info (on windows, at least. I don't know about the Mac version of iTunes), changing the volume adjustment, and resynching with your iPod.

If I were you, I'd try playing with the volume adjustment on one of your files to find out what the best adjustment should be. Since you're using the bass booster equalizer setting, the volume adjustment should probably be -50%. I am, however, making a guess at this.

(Assuming the equalizer settings in iTunes match the equalizer settings in the iPod, it looks like the bass booster setting is increasing one of the frequency bands by about 6 dB. Amplifying a signal by 6dB is about equal to a gain of two. If the signal is ever larger than half full-scale amplitude, you will hear clipping.)

Thanks for your help. I'm even considering just buying bassier headphones to compensate if MP3 Gaining is too hard.

Jul 7, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffc
you can try changing the volume adjustment to -50% to -75% by highlighting all of your files in iTunes, select File::Get Info (on windows, at least. I don't know about the Mac version of iTunes), changing the volume adjustment, and resynching with your iPod. you will hear clipping.)

Could it really be that simple? Thanks, I'm gonna try that as soon as I get home.

Jul 8, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 16
Close iTunes. Download this. Unzip and place the four files under OSX/Library/iTunes/Scripts (create if necessary)/ Open iTunes. On the iTunes menu under Applescript (black scroll icon), you should see the three AACgain options. Select the files you want to gain and click on the Applescript 'AACGain Selected Files'.

While you're at it, there's a ton of others at Doug's.

You can then run the iPodVolumeBooster, if you want. Set it at 30-40%.

Jul 8, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Close iTunes. Download this. Unzip and place the four files under OSX/Library/iTunes/Scripts (create if necessary)/ Open iTunes. On the iTunes menu under Applescript (black scroll icon), you should see the three AACgain options. Select the files you want to gain and click on the Applescript 'AACGain Selected Files'.

While you're at it, there's a ton of others at Doug's.

You can then run the iPodVolumeBooster, if you want. Set it at 30-40%.

Thanks Blessingx - knew I could count on you!

ZT

Jul 8, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #9 of 16
No problem. I see the zipped file is now an install .pkg, so forget about moving files. Click unzip and click. It's even easier now.
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

No problem. I see the zipped file is now an install .pkg, so forget about moving files. Click unzip and click. It's even easier now.
wink.gif

Yup it worked well.

The scripts are all up and running. Thanks again.

I've done a test. Converted my Apple lossless to AAC 320 (would 192 do?) then used the script to gain the file. It doesn't sound that much different. Does "Gain" just reduce the volume (as said in the above post) or something more?

Just to re-hash. In your opinion I should:

1. Convert my lossless into high bitrate AAC files
2. Use the AAC Gain script on them
3. Use the "ipod volume booster" on my iPod
4. transfer the AAC files onto the boosted iPod
5. Now iPod's equaliser will work without distortion?

My fingers are crossed.

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 16
Volume and Gain are different things, but I'll let someone that knows more state the differences. For now see here for some info.

224 is my favorite AAC setting, though you should test 192 also. Above 224 the battery starts to drain much quicker for diminishing quality returns. Seems to be some 224 (or average file size for this bitrate) boundary with the iPods buffer, etc. You may want to read this for another opinion.

Some tracks gain will be left alone, some will be increased and some decreased. So don't be surprised if it isn't noticeable right away. It will be very obvious on some tracks. Target is 89 dB with the above scripts, though it can decrease further to prevent clipping. Another hint, the above scripts also write 'AACGained' in the 'grouping' tag, if you forget what's been gained and what's not been.

The below list is correct. Keep in mind you can use AACgain on AAC or MP3 files. You can choose to use the iPodVolumeBooster or not. The net volume usually decreases so the booster can counteract, but isn't necessary. Spin on the iPods disc to increase volume is another option.
wink.gif

Place them on your iPod and try a few EQ settings. Acoustic is my fave for making things a little more dynamic and bringing in more bass.

Plus don't forget those Doug's Applescripts. They can make manipulating tag data, etc. quite expansive in iTunes on the Mac.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT
Yup it worked well.

The scripts are all up and running. Thanks again.

I've done a test. Converted my Apple lossless to AAC 320 (would 192 do?) then used the script to gain the file. It doesn't sound that much different. Does "Gain" just reduce the volume (as said in the above post) or something more?

Just to re-hash. In your opinion I should:

1. Convert my lossless into high bitrate AAC files
2. Use the AAC Gain script on them
3. Use the "ipod volume booster" on my iPod
4. transfer the AAC files onto the boosted iPod
5. Now iPod's equaliser will work without distortion?

My fingers are crossed.

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Volume and Gain are different things, but I'll let someone that knows more state the differences. For now see here for some info.

224 is my favorite AAC setting, though you should test 192 also. Above 224 the battery starts to drain much quicker for diminishing quality returns. Seems to be some 224 (or average file size for this bitrate) boundary with the iPods buffer, etc. You may want to read this for another opinion.

Some tracks gain will be left alone, some will be increased and some decreased. So don't be surprised if it isn't noticeable right away. It will be very obvious on some tracks. Target is 89 dB with the above scripts, though it can decrease further to prevent clipping. Another hint, the above scripts also write 'AACGained' in the 'grouping' tag, if you forget what's been gained and what's not been.

The below list is correct. Keep in mind you can use AACgain on AAC or MP3 files. You can choose to use the iPodVolumeBooster or not. The net volume usually decreases so the booster can counteract, but isn't necessary. Spin on the iPods disc to increase volume is another option.
wink.gif

Place them on your iPod and try a few EQ settings. Acoustic is my fave for making things a little more dynamic and bringing in more bass.

Plus don't forget those Doug's Applescripts. They can make manipulating tag data, etc. quite expansive in iTunes on the Mac.

You're great blessingx!

Jul 8, 2005 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 16
Again no problem. When on a minority OS we got to stick together.

Now that you're using Applescripts in iTunes (if this your first time) a few others I'd recommend and I use from Dougs are...

Lossless to AAC Workflow
Make Bookmarkable
Put This After That (and Before and In)
Remove n Characters From Front
Search/Replace Tag Text
Swap This With That
Number Prefix to Track Number

Again Applescript really opens things up.

Jul 8, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 16
blessingx\....[/QUOTE said:
It works! It totally works. Unbeleavable. I had this Herbaliser song that distorted really badly due to it's deep bass whenever I used the "bass boost" eq on the iPod. Now with the files AAC Gain no matter how much I equalize there's no distortion.

So cool. Great for me with my E4c's.

Thanks heaps and I recommend Mp3Gain/AACGain to everyone wanting to use the iPod's equaliser.

ZT (a very happy man).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back