MP3 Gain Question
Sep 17, 2005 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

CloudySkies

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to run all of my mp3s through mp3 gain, and I have a few questions. I'm currently running an analysis on all of my files, and just about every one is comming up at somewhere between -5 and -9(target rate is at the default 89 setting) and clipping is detected for every file. Is this normal, and should I just stick with the reccomended 89 decibel setting? Will this solve the clipping problems and not decrease my files' volume significantly? And about adjusting the volume either per album/folder or for every mp3 file, which do you guys suggest that I use? Adjusting everything to the same volume would be nice, but would that kill specific album nuances and characteristics?

Sep 17, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudySkies
I'm trying to run all of my mp3s through mp3 gain, and I have a few questions. I'm currently running an analysis on all of my files, and just about every one is comming up at somewhere between -5 and -9(target rate is at the default 89 setting) and clipping is detected for every file. Is this normal, and should I just stick with the reccomended 89 decibel setting? Will this solve the clipping problems and not decrease my files' volume significantly? And about adjusting the volume either per album/folder or for every mp3 file, which do you guys suggest that I use? Adjusting everything to the same volume would be nice, but would that kill specific album nuances and characteristics?

I "mp3gained" my mp3 collection some weeks ago, and also got warnings for most of the tracks after album analysis, which was very disappoiniting since I wanted to increase the gain above 93-94 dB. So I decided to take the risk of ignoring these warnings and see (hear) what happened.

Well, the result is that after increasing it to 95 dB for some genres and 96.5 dB for the rest, I can hear no clipping at all on my iRiver H120, even at high volumes like 30-35/40. Some tracks are displayed to be 10 or 12 dB above the clipping level, according to mp3gain.

My advice is take some tracks and experiment a little with them. You can always undo the latest changes, so it's not critical if you go too far.

As for your second question, I use track gain because I want to obtain the same volume for all songs. Album gain allows keeping the relative differences between tracks of each folder, which is more convenient for some people.

Sep 17, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Before I start messing around with my files, are the mp3 gain info tags automatically created with the default settings, or do I need to enable this feature?

Yes, they're created during track/album analysis, and automatically read when you load those files again. Just be careful not to re-analyse *after* applying any gain changes, since you'd be creating new tags and discarding the old ones, which contain the information to undo the latest changes.

Sep 18, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for all the help, I have one last question though. After I've run mp3 gain and altered my files, what do I do if I want to remove the tags and return the files to normal? Is there a toolbar that I can go to for this or do I have to manually remove the tags in some way?

Sep 18, 2005 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Thanks for all the help, I have one last question though. After I've run mp3 gain and altered my files, what do I do if I want to remove the tags and return the files to normal? Is there a toolbar that I can go to for this or do I have to manually remove the tags in some way?

You'd only need to reload the files, undo changes and then remove the APE tags (in *that* order, remember
icon10.gif
), all through menu options.

Quote:

and what happens if I accidentally run a wma or ogg file through mp3 gain by mistake?

Well, actually you can't apply any changes to those kinds of tracks. When you load a folder into the app window, you can only see the *.mp3 files, the rest being ignored.

Let me insist, this sw is not "dangerous" at all, but if you feel insecure about it, just make some copies of your MP3s and experiment on them. Try to analyse / change / restore them, etc, and see for yourself what you could or shouldn't do
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back