mp3 encoding confusion
Apr 19, 2008 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

G-man

Formerly known as gautam
hey, im a bit confused. my mp3 payer (iriver h10) can play wma 192 kbps or mp3 320 (max). so i assume that the mp3 is the best choice.
i therefore have to encode my flac files to mp3. but there are quite a lot of choices:
mp3 helix:
-VBR 225kbps
-CBR 160kbps
mp3 fraunhofer IIS
-CBR 320 kbps
mp3 lame
-CBR 320kbps
-ABR 320kbps
-VBR 240 kbps

so which one is the best. i read that VBR is better then CBR, but would the higher encoding be better and what is ABR? and what is the difference between the three different codecs (i want best quality, doesn't matter if it takes longer).
any and all help will be much appreciated
thanks

Apr 19, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 18
I would check out the latest recommended LAME settings at Hydrogenaudio.

Apr 19, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 18
I assume you found your way here.

Reading that page should already give you a good idea of what you might do in order to achieve transparency, and that pretty much involves using VBR encoding. See the section on High Quality for more details.

Apr 19, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 18
well i went to a different page that said the exact same thing. so i don't use the archiving settings. thanks. also, i wanted you opinion, should i keep the flac files, or delete them
also on wmp, can you have two same albums, one mp3 and one flac. because i would like to put mp3 on there to put them on my mp3 player, and flac to listen to on the comp.

Apr 19, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 18
Never throw out your lossless files, especially if you've taken care of getting perfect rips. Invest in more storage if you need to, it's well worth it for the convenience of batch transcoding to other formats whenever you want, and for backup/archival purposes.

Apr 19, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 18
lol not running out of space. i guess its good in case i need them in the future. what about the wmp problem. any ideas?

EDIT: would there be a difference in wav lossless and flac. cos wav is supported by wmp and its also lossless so its easier for me

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 18
HELP, i converted the flac to wav, but now the files have a slight grainy sound in the background. any way to solve this. if i convert is back, will it go away?

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HELP, i converted the flac to wav, but now the files have a slight grainy sound in the background. any way to solve this. if i convert is back, will it go away?

What did you use for converting?

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dBpoweramp

Might be worth giving a different application a try.
Most obvious one to try are the official FLAC binary. FLAC - download

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 18
Do not use WMP for anything musical. I concur about Lame, the best mp3-encoder bar none.

Keep those FLAC, use Winamp. Does that iRiver have Rockbox firmware? That might let you play FLAC.

Anyway portably, use Lame @ V0 or V2 VBR setting. Wiki Lame...

Convert FLAC do not delete them.

Apr 19, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #15 of 18
ok, so here is what i have done:
i have flac files, saved.
i have reconverted these to mp3 V0
i am currently using wmp with like a million extra plugins to use flac
so i am downloading media monkey.
now my question is, do i delete the mp3 files because media monkey allows me to convert them when i sync then to my mp3 player (assuming it works with it).

EDIT: i found out that my mp3 player does support rockbox. apart from the ability to play flac, are there any other reasons to go to rockbox?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back