Mp3 Encoder?
Feb 26, 2007 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

lwrs10

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I just use WMP to rip my Mp3's at 320 VBR, and im wondering whats the better way to do it? I've tried Itunes to rip to AAC, dont like it. Used Winamp, Musicmatch, Nero, and a few others too.....Musicmatch seems to have the best quality out of these, but it takes god awful long to rip.

Any suggestions? Need something quick....I have over 5,000 cd's and wouldn't mind re-ripping then for sound quality....as long as I can get a fast ripper....

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 7
As for what encoder to use, see this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=227092

There are many, many other threads here at Head-Fi that contain discussion of which encoder to use.

As for which ripping program to use, my experience is that it is better to sacrifice speed for an accurate rip, so I use Exact Audio Copy. "Fast" ripping programs tend to be a false economy anyway. I find it faster to rip it correctly once, rather than ripping it fast and then having to re-rip later because of ripping errors.

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 7
Try to setup EAC (Exact Audio Copy) in secure mode to create accurate rips. LAME is also the recommended encoder to create VBR mp3 files. These two programs are the perfect combo!

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverPilot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try to setup EAC (Exact Audio Copy) in secure mode to create accurate rips. LAME is also the recommended encoder to create VBR mp3 files. These two programs are the perfect combo!

x2 Yep. Use the LAME -V0 --vbr-new if you want super HQ VBR mp3's. If you want to save some space use -V2 --vbr-new.

Here is a graph showing file size vs quality in different settings:
Lame-chart-2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back