MP3/CD player craze
Nov 11, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #31 of 34
I checked out on the Mojo 860 from TDK. I think it stands a better chance than the SlimX, although I dun know how it sounds like. It looks better & it supports the InCD format which was the big advantage of the SlimX. Upgradable firmware & stuff.

mojo860_prodshot.jpg

Heh you can create your own startup logo.

Nov 11, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by dparrish
Davie,

What specifically don't you like about the Iriver's sound?
My wife has a SlimX imp350 and I think it's quite good--clean, clear, plenty of power/low distortion for the headphone out, and the line out sounds good with my Total Airhead and Cosmic.

Granted, it's not audiophile quality, but it's a heck of alot better than other players I've heard, especially out of the headphone output.

Sorry, I haven't heard any of the Rio units, but they ARE made by Iriver.

dparrish,

Just to reiterate, I have never heard an actual SlimX unit. I suppose my main problem with the RioVolts I've heard was the lack of power to adequately drive the headphones that I've been using, which include the standard models popular around head-fi for portable use such as the Koss KSC35, the Grado SR-60, and the Senn HD497. In this respect, they definitely suffered in comparison to other players I've tried, such as the Sony C-J01, the Panasonic SL-MP35, and the TDK Mojo 620. The other shortcomings I perceived, such as a somewhat dry and reticent sound, may simply be a result of the power issue. (I've never used a separate amp.)

My problem with RioVolt may also be related to the recordings I was listening to. It's become clear to me that many older CDs are mastered at a much lower overall volume level than is standard nowadays. I notice a substantial volume boost in newly released remasterings of some of my old favorites.

What phones are you guys using with the SlimX? And what other players have you tried whose sound you feel didn't measure up to the SlimX?

Nov 11, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Vulpix
I wanted to get a MP3 player but found out most 8cm CD MP3 players were total ****, and couldn't tolerate much shaking, so jogging with them is impossible. To me, size is important, and I like my stuff the smaller the better.

Eventually, I sold my MP3 player, and bought a MD. Never looked back.

Same here. I found for jogging that CD players suck big time! I went and bought an MD.

Nov 11, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #34 of 34
To my insensitive ears MD players which should sound worse than CD players actually often sound better than most CD players out there. But having said that I found Rio (I tried 250&90) and IMP-350 perform pretty well. They sounded loud and clear enough with bundled earphones(well, so to speak) and KSC35's. Sony D-CJ01 was a bit of let down as I was expecting something that sounded significantly better than Rio but it didn't.(to me anyway).

About 8 cm CD/MP3 players, my guess is that some major company has to come out with a quality player for the format. Anytime I see a 8cm CD/MP3 players, I think "gawd, what a cheap looking junk" and they all sounded awful to me. But I doubt if Sony or Panasonic will come out with one anytime soon.

The new Mojo does look pretty nice, even tho its battery life according to the spec. is even less than that of the new SlimX's.

http://www.iriver.com/down/product/iMP400-redwine11.jpg
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...21105/tdk1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back