Mozart - Violin Concertos
Feb 7, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #61 of 66
The Mullova shouldn't disappoint -- it's very classical and I mean this in the strictest sense.
wink.gif

For a real kick, just compare the violin concertos the way she does them with the Mutter concertos. You will find that where Mullova is an ensemble player with a solo part, Mutter is a star with backup players. It's a completely different feeling as well as a different sound.

Tell me what you think of the Manze samples. I love putting the Manze with the Biondi for completion. While there's no way of confusing the recordings (they sound very differently), I find that they work very well together.

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #62 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bunny

I do have the Biondi 1,2,3 VC on Virgin and have my eye on the new Mullova CD which I suspect is very good despite the strange cover picture.......
confused_face.gif
(her fingers appear to be very long like ET from movie)

415TPHZCVFL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The bare feet don't do anything for me either.
L3000.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #63 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell me what you think of the Manze samples. I love putting the Manze with the Biondi for completion. While there's no way of confusing the recordings (they sound very differently), I find that they work very well together.

Since I already have the Biondi/Virgin 1,2,3 CD and I like the samples from the Manze/HM 3,4,5 CD the order has been placed.........

51Q86YHY78L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
61QDEVSXTVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Feb 8, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #64 of 66
Quote:

Tetzlaff - The reference set for me. Orchestra is very, very good. Modern instruments but with HIP sensibility. Tetzlaff is very intense, strong charisma, he just owns this music. Get it if you can

Going back to begining of this thread decided to check Tyson's choice and he may have a real winner with Tetzlaff/Virgin set, very cheap used now at Amazon so I placed an order
wink_face.gif

41XMN0MSMKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51WDGA5XDRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #65 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I already have the Biondi/Virgin 1,2,3 CD and I like the samples from the Manze/HM 3,4,5 CD the order has been placed.........

51Q86YHY78L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
61QDEVSXTVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Bunny......
is correct that the Biondi (Standage, Huggett, Tetzlaff) violin concertos sound much different than Manze/HM. The Manze performances are taken at a noticeably broader tempos giving a more relaxed feel, look at VC 3 timings:

Manze/HM
28:50

Biondi/Virgin
20:16

Standage/Lyre
20:57

Huggett/Virgin
22:21

Tetzlaff/Virgin
21:29

Mutter/LPO/DG 2005
25:48

Interesting in that while Manze takes broader tempos the clarified tones and playing style is still very hip and will not be confused with Mutter/DG for instance. I will keep it in my collection for variety sake, but would not make it a reference or primary recommendation. Manze does have a nice rich full tone I find appealing, sometimes HIP violin concertos can sound a bit thin and strident

May 1, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #66 of 66
An old thread bump, sorry for that, but recently I compared a few recordings and some of them are mentioned in this thread, like the Manze, Carmignola, Biondi.
Of these recordings I prefer the Manze by quite a big margin.
I think Manze is musically more interesting, his HIP approach is not all about fast tempi and excitement. There I find the Biondi and also Carmignola a bit disappointing, It is just what you'd expect from a HIP performance.
Manze is the most dynamic varied, in violin play and direction of his orchestra. His orchestra is also the most transarant and articulate and there's so much more contrast in color and dynamics.
Carmignola is maybe the better violinist and maybe a bit more passionate, but I feel Manze is 'smarter' and more creative and dares to be 'understated' at times.

I didn't like the Mutter recording. Of the more traditional approaches, well at least when it comes to the violin solo itself (vibrato, swollen tone etc.) I like the Vilde Frang recording quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back