Mozart Requiem or similar?
Jan 27, 2007 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Schalldampfer

1000+ Head-Fier
I can't stop listening to Harnoncourt's Mozart Requiem, especially Dies Irae. So, I was wondering what version of Verdi's Requiem I should try, or if there's something similar othre than the Verdi Requiem.

Jan 27, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 25
Verdi's Requiem is very different musically from Mozart's. They only thing they have in common are the words. If you want something similar to Mozart try Mozart's Great Mass in C minor; the MacCreesh recording is available at Amazon and yourmusic and bmg. Sound quality is not as good as the Harnoncourt Requiem, but the singing is really first rate. Btw the Great Mass is also unfinished, but no one has tried to complete it. Another piece that might please you would be some of the Haydn masses or oratorios such as Die Schöpfung «The Creation» also recorded by Nikolaus Harnoncourt.

B000BUK3B0.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1133596375_.jpg
513698.jpg

Jan 27, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 25
Thanks, bunny. I'll try to get those two, but any recommendations on a Verdi Requiem recording? I'm going to try to get it, even though it's different from Mozart's.

Jan 28, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 25
Gardiner's version is good, regardless of the interest of hearing the piece on period instruments. I also like the Abbado/BPO version out on DVD which has a special power and depth to it, maybe because of Abbado's illness at the time - his gaunt physical appearance is somewhat shocking however. Going back to prehistoric times the Giulini is very good if you can stand the distorted sound in loud passages.

Jan 28, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 25
By the way the Mozart C minor mass is a better work than the Requiem, so I would recommend that as well. Also better musically than the Requiem are the late Haydn masses, of which the Nelson Mass is probably the high point. Try Gardiner in any of them for top rate performances, that do however underplay some of the depth of the pieces in that typically Gardinerian efficient manner.

Jan 28, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 25
Okay, I'll try to get one of those next week. Probably Mozart's Mass in C. And I went out and bought Solti's Verdi Requiem before checking on the thread again.

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 25
Jan 28, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you haven't listened to Marriner's version of Mozart's Requiem, it's definitely worth it! Very different then Harnoncourt's version (which personally, I like the Marriner version better).

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Requiem...e=UTF8&s=music

Haha, wow... I saw this while I was at Borders, today, and I was going to pick it up, but since I already have Harnoncourt's, I thought maybe I should try something totally different, so I went with the Verdi.

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, wow... I saw this while I was at Borders, today, and I was going to pick it up, but since I already have Harnoncourt's, I thought maybe I should try something totally different, so I went with the Verdi.

Still worth listening to the Marriner version eventually IMHO. You won't be disappointed, as it's very different then the Harnoncourt. Heck, I'm on such a Marriner kick right now that I'm listening to Philips box of the complete Mozart symphonies from him. Just checked out yourmusic, and have his Mass in C Minor on my que now
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still worth listening to the Marriner version eventually IMHO. You won't be disappointed, as it's very different then the Harnoncourt. Heck, I'm on such a Marriner kick right now that I'm listening to Philips box of the complete Mozart symphonies from him. Just checked out yourmusic, and have his Mass in C Minor on my que now
biggrin.gif

Haha, I know, I will. Marriner is a great conductor. The whole set of his Brandenburg Concertos I got for 12 dollars occupied me for 6 months. Couldn't listen to anything else during that time.

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 25
I recently went on a requiem binge and got most of my suggestions here. There's a really good thread if you do a search (I'm currently too lazy to do so), but I also agree that Mass in C is worth getting and listening to at least a dozen or more times.

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, I know, I will. Marriner is a great conductor. The whole set of his Brandenburg Concertos I got for 12 dollars occupied me for 6 months. Couldn't listen to anything else during that time.

I like spicing things up, so inbetween the 12 Mozart/ Marriner symphony CDs I'm working on, I also have checked out a Johnny Cash, the latest Shinns, and Beck in between movements!
biggrin.gif
Surprisingly there's not a huge disconnect going to and from these genres
biggrin.gif
Also have some more Living Stereo Heifetz SACDs I'm listening to as well.

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #14 of 25
Hmm... you know... I think Verdi Requiem should be played on speakers. I don't think there's, well, as far as I can imagine, any headphone capable of reproducing the soundstaging and airiness of the recording. Time to put the Tannoys to work! Oh, and is it just me or are there random Dies irae parts spread throughout the whole Requiem? Not that I mind...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back