Mozart Reqium
Feb 3, 2002 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Ok -- if my other posts haven't given me away as a poser and a wannabe, surely this one will. I don't own Mozart's Requiem in any form.

I'd really like to buy it, but I don't know anything about most of the conductors and I know even less about the labels.

I'll be listening primarily on headphones, of course, and the mastering quality is of utmost importance to me as artifacts and harshness drive me mad. Which version of Requiem should I buy then?

Kelly

Feb 4, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
For a good recording of Mozart's Requiem, I would recommend looking on Music Direct's website. They only have the best recordings and at reasonable prices to boot.

The link there www.amusicdirect.com is 404.
www.musicdirect.com only offers a handful of streaming audio files and a search at Amazon

Where did you intend to point me?
smily_headphones1.gif

Kelly

Feb 4, 2002 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 5
i have owned this recording for a long time, and it is one of the best. i highly recommend it:

"John Eliot Gardiner's 1986 recording of Mozart's unfinished Requiem, with the Monteverdi Choir and the English Baroque Soloists, is a model of clarity and grace. The soloists--Barbara Bonney, Anne Sofie von Otter, Hans Peter Blochwitz, and Willard White--are supple, expressive, but never overpowering. This disc also features the lively and colorful Kyrie (k. 341)." -amazon.com

Mozart: Requiem / Bonney, von Otter, Blochwitz, W. White, Gardiner

if you like that i suggest you check out his "great mass" as well. while not as dramatic as the requiem, it contains some sublime music.

Mozart's Great Mass in C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back