Mozart Philips Complete...? Or other collection of "Best" Mozart recordings?
Sep 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JoeinLA

New Head-Fier
I'm sort of coveting this, because of its completeness, and also because I'm looking for a collection of highest quality Mozart performances/recordings.

Does anyone know where you can buy this set still?  Or any tips on how to get this collection (e.g., just search ebay all the time)?

Is there any other recommendation for building a solid collection of highest quality performances/recordings?

I'm no audiophile, but for the past couple of years, I've been engrossed with Mozart's work (I'm currently listening to Piano Concert 15 in B flat - I probably listen to it several times a day!).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations or suggestions.

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 3
Forget the Philips set. Get the 170-disk set from Brilliant Classics. You can get it for $150 at Amazon and is a stunning bargain. It has everything. The symphonies in superb performances, as long as you buy into the HIP concept. The operas and all the concerti in fine performances. Ok, not everything here is "the best". But for the price, this is unbeatable.

Brilliant classics is THE way to build a library on a budget. There are some tremendous bargains in their catalog.

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 3
I have the Brilliant Classics set. I haven't found any duds in it yet. TONS of incredible stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back