Moxpad X6 First Impressions And Review Thread
Dec 12, 2014 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

xtwargodtx

100+ Head-Fier
Alright I noticed that the new moxpad x6 have come out on AE for about $30 ($10 more than the X3). Noticed that no ones really started an impressions thread on these IEM's so here we go.

BTW: I do not own the X3 nor the X6 but thought this would be a good thread for people that wanted to buy a pair. :D

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 18
Of course you committed a top level violation. No starting a review or impressions thread for something you don't actually have
biggrin.gif
. Really, check the Head-fi rules and regulations section, I'm sure it's in there!

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 18
I'm hesitant to take the plunge. The signature of the X3 was the least of my favorites in my collection. I'll wait until someone else takes the initiative if they like the detachable cables and their looks.

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 18
Well looks like i am the first one to buy these on head-fi and speak up. So here goes.

~Moxpad X6~
-An Uneducated Estimated Opinionated "Review"-

Headphone History:
Proof I only know enough to be dangerous, so proceed with a caution, skepticism, and a grain of salt.
Free airplane earbuds -> Awia somethings -> Iphone 3g earbuds -> Klipsch s4 -> Fostex t50rp self mod -> soundsoul s-018 -> Moxpad X6(one month as of writing) -> Quad balanced armature custom build in mail

Packaging:
Sorry I have thrown the packaging away already so this is from month old memory. They come with in a nice white box with a premium feel like the cardboard of any Apple product. Included are multiple tips you might find one comfortable or just add on your own favorite ones. Included was a manual it may be multilingual. There is a nice circular carrying case ~9cm in diameter and 3cm deep. It is colored black with red zippers and branded on the outside. Inside is a soft felt on one side and a bungle mesh for holding extra tips. The headphones are displayed individually and the cable is found underneath them. I purchased red. They are also available in blue, dark grey/black, or red blue (LR) combo (wishing I bought these I always try the wrong ear first).

Cabling:
The cabling for the Moxpad X6 is removable a relatively new feature in the $35 price range from what I understand. It appears the connector is gold plated. Attaching the cable to the IEM takes a good amount of force and once connected there is no question they will stay together. I do not expect any issues with the connection being flaky or reducing audio quality. The cable has a soft slightly grippy feel and the twist of the wires beneath the coating is a pleasure to feel through your fingers when handling the cable. The cable has a Y connector 50cm from the earphone, and the right wire has the mic/remote. Overall the cable feels study and high quality. The jack is a 45 degree jack and I have yet to decide if I am a fan or not. Cable relief seems sufficient only time will tell I do not have the experience to tell from a brand new cable. The over ear wire has stiffer pliable plastic/rubber sleeve that is ~9cm long. This can be molded to your ear curvature and works quite nicely. I can not compare microphonics to other over ear cable IEMs but it is similar to what I was expecting (less than earbuds more than headphones).

Remote:
The remote is a single button answer/hangup remote with mic. The mic works great with my mac and win 8 tablet. I have yet to try it with a phone because my headphone jack is broken. It has a standard bullet design and is lightweight so you will not notice the difference on one side as opposed to others I have used.

Aesthetics:
The design is simple and elegant there are no harsh corners. It does not particularly standout like other aggressive designs. I feel it is quite ergonomic. The bud is a great size and does not protrude from the ear. The ergonomics feel good. The earbud appears to be a standard smooth extremely tough ABS plastic. The fit and finish is tight, however at the seams there is a slight ridge. It is unlikely to bother anyone except the most sensitive. The inward face of the earbud has the L/R marking and a single ~0.5mm port hole. The overall design is sleek, unassuming, and well matched with each component.

Audio Quality:
Treble - 8.5/10
Midrange - 8/10
Bass - 9/10

Isolation: 9/10
I really am in my own little world when I put them on.

Audio Tone after 50hr burn in:
Treble - Clear and musical not overly bright. Lacks the airy feeling.
Midrange - Reserved with decent detail. This is not a mid forward IEM.
Bass - Reasonably tight with good detail and minimal bleed. Bass heavy and *usually not overpowering. Good extension.
Soundstage - Medium
Tonality: Warm and musical.

Specifications:
- Speaker Type: Dynamic Micro Speaker
- Sensitivity: 96dB SPL/mW
- Frequency Range: 20Hz-20KHz
- Impedance: 16ohm
- Cable Length: 1350mm+-50mm + mic
- Plug: 3.5mm mini stereo gold-plated

Observations:
I can listen all day and fall asleep in my Fostex t50rp's and pull the off the next morning. But Fostex does not do isolation so I enjoy the Moxpad X6 when I want to escape the world. The downside with the Moxpad X6 is that I can only make it to about five hours; I think I need to get some comply tips. Sibilance dies down about as much as it will after ~20 hrs of burn in but I still expect it to become somewhat smoother. The burn in smoothed and tightened bass, increased the detail in the mids while still hidden they sound better, and smoothed brought out the treble and increased it prominence. The sound profile has a V which enough to be fun but not be pronounced.

Some music I listened to and my severely subjective opinions :

-John Williams: Summon the Heroes-
The brass is tight without being overly harsh. Woodwinds are well textured and detailed. Bass drum hits have detail but slightly overpower mids. Strings are buttery smooth.

-Mozart: Requiem Mass-
The choral is mid heavy and the bass of the strings masks detail in the voices. It reduces instrumentation and makes voices harder to understand however the overall sound is still lyrical and flowing.

-Mozart: 12 variations on 'Ah Vous dirais je maman' (twinkle twinkle little star)-
This is a piano only piece. The richness of the piano stands out and the trills and flourishes of the piece stand out. Mozart neglects the middle of the piano in this piece so it fits the Moxpad X6 like a glove. Fantastic listening.

-Michael McEachern: What's Inside-
The beginning of this piece sweeps left and right and give me an idea of soundstage. Good use of clean bass guitar and guitar showed the character of each instrument. The male vocals are low tenor range and are slightly reserved and could use more clarity.

-Bruno Mars: Marry You-
I am used to hearing so much instrumentation in this song. The bass power, warm character, and V shape hide a significant amount of flair and flourish underneath a bass guitar and bass kicks. Its still there is you listen. The male voice again suffers slightly in clarity.

-The Postal Service: Such Great Heights-
Just because I like it :) Bass on the synth is rich and detailed. Percussion hits are well defined. This relaxing song for bassheads who electronic music.

-Hans Zimmer: The Kraken-
This is for bass extension testing and detail. Not only does the Moxpad X6 produce low frequencies with decent extension I am impressed with the texture and detail.

-Beethoven: 9th Symphony complete-
Higher instruments stand out with musical clarity. The trumpets still present a slight harshness. Strings are buttery smooth again. Trombones and french horns get slightly lost in the midrange. Percussion section stands out in quality and detail. The X6 performs admirably until the finale when the X6 simply does not have the detail and separation to match the sheer amount of instrumentation, vocals and power.

-Olivia Ong: True Colors-
The instrumentation and female voice are fantastic in this song. The X6 is fantastic for female voice. Olivia is crystal clear. The light supporting instrumentation each is distinctly separated. Also this song has a beautiful airy sound to it unfortunately the X6 does not capture completely it with its high end.

Pros:
Build quality and sound quality to price ratio.
Cables are just plain nice.
Bass is rich and well detailed.

Cons:
Midrange is reserved and could be more detailed.
Treble is missing the airy quality.
Included tips are stiff and may not be comfortable for extended listening periods.

Warnings:
Not for trebleheads.
Get the split color set :)
Would not be my first choice for classical music.

I also found some foreign language reviews for those who are interested. Google translate was my friend here.
http://www.kaskus.co.id/thread/549ece81c2cb1742778b456c/review-moxpad-x6-earphone-monitor-best-bang-for-your-buck

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 18
Nice review! Shame they didn't have more treble. Think that is what many people wanted from the X3 :frowning2:

Don't think that removeable cable is so new for cheap in-ears. I have/had both the Soundsoul U10 and KZ R3 Pro and there are the Somic MH415 and quite a few others. Just another to add to the list. Of course it always begs the question if they are so cheap to be almost disposable and not sound that great to make it worth it to replace the cable instead of trying something new.

I agree forty-five degree plugs are just not the answer. Most people like one or the other and in between just makes sure both sides are equally unsatisfied :)

Any comparison vs. the S-018??

Also is there maybe a potential for front screen removal to get more treble? Sounds like the signature may benefit from a bit less bass freed up mids and more treble if the screen on them is a filter shaping them to what they are. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 18
While listening I did not run these through my amp because I had that hooked up with my Fostex cans. Also these headphones are very easy to drive so I left the amp out of the equation. Now I am running through my play list again with my amp, a PA2V2, and the midrange is singing like it should and the bass is tighter and less overpowering. So I would say some coloring of the tone but overall it is better. Treble is still clear but it did not gain any air. The soundstage is more separated and defined and slightly wider.

Jant71 I would not say there is a lack of treble just that little airy bit at the top that I really enjoy in my Fostex. Also coming from a Klipsch s4 as my daily for 3 years I really got hooked on the airy feel Klipsch had. I get another opinion on the treble before making a decision, my opinion is quite biased. I am also not used to so much bass, with my Fostex modded towards a neutral tone, making it more difficult for me to hear the rest of the range. I am don't think I am a treblehead I just know I am not a basshead :) I am probably in the minority who would want less bass out of the X6.

In comparison to the S-018. Sound stage is equivalent or slightly better than S-018 but more detailed in all ranges. I would say you can definitely hear the wood of the S-018 in its warmer tone. The bass is tighter and the bleed into the mids is only 1/4 of the S-018. If you wanted to joke around you could almost call it a pair of analytical S-018's. The build quality of X6 blows away S-018. The S-018 has something in the treble which makes the cymbal a bit more airy but it feels incomplete. The X6 the cymbal is full and rich but less airy.

I played with the equalizer; a small bump to the 2.5khz, 3khz, and 5khz for vocals, a bigger bump to 14k and 20k for airy vocals, a progressively decreasing decrease in bass from 220hz down to 50hz to allow midrange room.

There is a earwax screen/guard that could be messed with.

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 18
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Moxpad-X6-In-ear-sport-Earphones-with-Mic-for-iPhone-Samsung-Mobile-Cell-Phones-Replacement/32237785046.html

Moxpad X6 on sale for $21.52!

May 4, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #9 of 18
Just got my Moxpad x6 & Somic MH539 from Taobao direct, for about SGD $35+, including shipping from China to Singapore, I bought some other stuff as well.

There was a purchase with purchase offer, bought Moxpad x6 @ RMB123 while the MH539 was dangling at RMB20.... and I really had to get it.

Surprisingly, the MH539 was quite nice, nice bass and clarity, but too bad I am not really knowledgeable enough to comment on the sonic quality of the low, mid or high.
It definitely does not feel or sound like a RMB20 headphones, it feels way more nice, in fact nicer than Moxpad x6.... 
blink.gif

Coming to Moxpad x6, it really needs a good fit of the ear to isolate properly then it will shines, but like what a lot of people says here, it lacks a bit of details but
it certainly made it fun to hear due to the nice boost in bass which is something lacking in my TTPOD T1E or Havi B3 Pro 1.

Will continue to listen to it more to see if it improves, right now I am really enjoying the Somic MH539
darthsmile.gif
. Sorry to use the stock images on Taobao, never had time to take pictures... too busy at work.

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #11 of 18
Well looks like i am the first one to buy these on head-fi and speak up. So here goes.

~Moxpad X6~
-An Uneducated Estimated Opinionated "Review"-

Headphone History:
Proof I only know enough to be dangerous, so proceed with a caution, skepticism, and a grain of salt.
Free airplane earbuds -> Awia somethings -> Iphone 3g earbuds -> Klipsch s4 -> Fostex t50rp self mod -> soundsoul s-018 -> Moxpad X6(one month as of writing) -> Quad balanced armature custom build in mail

Packaging:
Sorry I have thrown the packaging away already so this is from month old memory. They come with in a nice white box with a premium feel like the cardboard of any Apple product. Included are multiple tips you might find one comfortable or just add on your own favorite ones. Included was a manual it may be multilingual. There is a nice circular carrying case ~9cm in diameter and 3cm deep. It is colored black with red zippers and branded on the outside. Inside is a soft felt on one side and a bungle mesh for holding extra tips. The headphones are displayed individually and the cable is found underneath them. I purchased red. They are also available in blue, dark grey/black, or red blue (LR) combo (wishing I bought these I always try the wrong ear first).

Cabling:
The cabling for the Moxpad X6 is removable a relatively new feature in the $35 price range from what I understand. It appears the connector is gold plated. Attaching the cable to the IEM takes a good amount of force and once connected there is no question they will stay together. I do not expect any issues with the connection being flaky or reducing audio quality. The cable has a soft slightly grippy feel and the twist of the wires beneath the coating is a pleasure to feel through your fingers when handling the cable. The cable has a Y connector 50cm from the earphone, and the right wire has the mic/remote. Overall the cable feels study and high quality. The jack is a 45 degree jack and I have yet to decide if I am a fan or not. Cable relief seems sufficient only time will tell I do not have the experience to tell from a brand new cable. The over ear wire has stiffer pliable plastic/rubber sleeve that is ~9cm long. This can be molded to your ear curvature and works quite nicely. I can not compare microphonics to other over ear cable IEMs but it is similar to what I was expecting (less than earbuds more than headphones).

Remote:
The remote is a single button answer/hangup remote with mic. The mic works great with my mac and win 8 tablet. I have yet to try it with a phone because my headphone jack is broken. It has a standard bullet design and is lightweight so you will not notice the difference on one side as opposed to others I have used.

Aesthetics:
The design is simple and elegant there are no harsh corners. It does not particularly standout like other aggressive designs. I feel it is quite ergonomic. The bud is a great size and does not protrude from the ear. The ergonomics feel good. The earbud appears to be a standard smooth extremely tough ABS plastic. The fit and finish is tight, however at the seams there is a slight ridge. It is unlikely to bother anyone except the most sensitive. The inward face of the earbud has the L/R marking and a single ~0.5mm port hole. The overall design is sleek, unassuming, and well matched with each component.

Audio Quality:
Treble - 8.5/10
Midrange - 8/10
Bass - 9/10

Isolation: 9/10
I really am in my own little world when I put them on.

Audio Tone after 50hr burn in:
Treble - Clear and musical not overly bright. Lacks the airy feeling.
Midrange - Reserved with decent detail. This is not a mid forward IEM.
Bass - Reasonably tight with good detail and minimal bleed. Bass heavy and *usually not overpowering. Good extension.
Soundstage - Medium
Tonality: Warm and musical.

Specifications:
- Speaker Type: Dynamic Micro Speaker
- Sensitivity: 96dB SPL/mW
- Frequency Range: 20Hz-20KHz
- Impedance: 16ohm
- Cable Length: 1350mm+-50mm + mic
- Plug: 3.5mm mini stereo gold-plated

Observations:
I can listen all day and fall asleep in my Fostex t50rp's and pull the off the next morning. But Fostex does not do isolation so I enjoy the Moxpad X6 when I want to escape the world. The downside with the Moxpad X6 is that I can only make it to about five hours; I think I need to get some comply tips. Sibilance dies down about as much as it will after ~20 hrs of burn in but I still expect it to become somewhat smoother. The burn in smoothed and tightened bass, increased the detail in the mids while still hidden they sound better, and smoothed brought out the treble and increased it prominence. The sound profile has a V which enough to be fun but not be pronounced.

Some music I listened to and my severely subjective opinions :

-John Williams: Summon the Heroes-
The brass is tight without being overly harsh. Woodwinds are well textured and detailed. Bass drum hits have detail but slightly overpower mids. Strings are buttery smooth.

-Mozart: Requiem Mass-
The choral is mid heavy and the bass of the strings masks detail in the voices. It reduces instrumentation and makes voices harder to understand however the overall sound is still lyrical and flowing.

-Mozart: 12 variations on 'Ah Vous dirais je maman' (twinkle twinkle little star)-
This is a piano only piece. The richness of the piano stands out and the trills and flourishes of the piece stand out. Mozart neglects the middle of the piano in this piece so it fits the Moxpad X6 like a glove. Fantastic listening.

-Michael McEachern: What's Inside-
The beginning of this piece sweeps left and right and give me an idea of soundstage. Good use of clean bass guitar and guitar showed the character of each instrument. The male vocals are low tenor range and are slightly reserved and could use more clarity.

-Bruno Mars: Marry You-
I am used to hearing so much instrumentation in this song. The bass power, warm character, and V shape hide a significant amount of flair and flourish underneath a bass guitar and bass kicks. Its still there is you listen. The male voice again suffers slightly in clarity.

-The Postal Service: Such Great Heights-
Just because I like it
smily_headphones1.gif
Bass on the synth is rich and detailed. Percussion hits are well defined. This relaxing song for bassheads who electronic music.

-Hans Zimmer: The Kraken-
This is for bass extension testing and detail. Not only does the Moxpad X6 produce low frequencies with decent extension I am impressed with the texture and detail.

-Beethoven: 9th Symphony complete-
Higher instruments stand out with musical clarity. The trumpets still present a slight harshness. Strings are buttery smooth again. Trombones and french horns get slightly lost in the midrange. Percussion section stands out in quality and detail. The X6 performs admirably until the finale when the X6 simply does not have the detail and separation to match the sheer amount of instrumentation, vocals and power.

-Olivia Ong: True Colors-
The instrumentation and female voice are fantastic in this song. The X6 is fantastic for female voice. Olivia is crystal clear. The light supporting instrumentation each is distinctly separated. Also this song has a beautiful airy sound to it unfortunately the X6 does not capture completely it with its high end.

Pros:
Build quality and sound quality to price ratio.
Cables are just plain nice.
Bass is rich and well detailed.

Cons:
Midrange is reserved and could be more detailed.
Treble is missing the airy quality.
Included tips are stiff and may not be comfortable for extended listening periods.

Warnings:
Not for trebleheads.
Get the split color set
smily_headphones1.gif

Would not be my first choice for classical music.

I also found some foreign language reviews for those who are interested. Google translate was my friend here.
http://www.kaskus.co.id/thread/549ece81c2cb1742778b456c/review-moxpad-x6-earphone-monitor-best-bang-for-your-buck

Great review.  The question I have is what are the diameter of the ports that the silicone tips attach to?  What size comply tips would be used?  P tips hopefully?

And the cables.  Is this an easily replaceable cable and even possibly with just a standard audio cable?

Sep 18, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 18
I just got the X6s a few weeks ago, but the mic and controls didn't work with my android phone and there was a problem with the connection in the jack. Every time I touched the jack a bit it would create static. There was also some faint static in the background. I'm going to refund and hopefully get a better one. :frowning2:

I measured the diameter of the ports and they seem to be exactly 5mm. I don't know about the cables though. I tried to find the specs but they were all in Chinese and I wasn't able to translate them. The cable to iem jack looks EXTREMELY like the Shure SE215s, if not identical and you most likely could get a standard replacement cable such as the Shures or the UE900 cable which looks soooo coool. Hope this helped! :)

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #14 of 18
I am kind of a low end user- have Shure SE215 and Westone UM Pro 10 (both at the bottom of the line so to speak in their respective product categories, each was about $100 or so on sale as far as I recall).

I bought the Moxpad X3 (clear) and the Moxpad X6 (black).  Acutally the "GranVela® X6 PRO" on Amazon but its a Moxpad.  The X3 was $19.00 and the X6 $27.00.

The X6 is very nice, uses MMCX connectors, same as on my Sure SE215 and the other Shure and Westone models.  Good bass (better than Shure 215), the highs are extended but not as crisp as the Shure.  Overall I really like it and have been using it more than the Shures.  I get a nice seal and it did come with a number of tips.  I cannot help but listen to the bass- its very deep.  Even the box cover says "Bass HD headphones"- they clearly have tuned this for the low end. 

The X3 is also excellent for its price.  The sound is not as dynamic but for $19.00 it pumps out some nice bass and also fits well.  The cable on the X3 is sort of "tacky" (not sticky but it definitely is rubber-like).  It does not use MMCX connectors, but some other type of small detachable connector for the earpieces.  Overall it clearly looks cheaper and the cable has louder microphonics compared to the X6. 

Both X3 and X6 have memory wire on the earpieces and a 45 degree plug with a mic on the cable (works on my Android).  Each has a round soft case that is smaller than the Shure oval case.  Its a tight fit in that small case.  One odd thing is that the X3 has a little slidey dealie to adjust the length of the neck breakout, but the X6 does not (unless I lost it or something?).   

Overall a very nice purchase! 

Won't say how they compare to the Westone UM Pro 10 as I never liked those one bit.

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 18
Recently bought the M6 for 20 shipped and wanted to share since many peeps said they were looking for them for $25 or less.....here's the link to where, I've purchased lots and lots of items problem free.....
http:// www.wish.com/m/c/564541bab14e2a15d97aa728

I am kind of a low end user- have Shure SE215 and Westone UM Pro 10 (both at the bottom of the line so to speak in their respective product categories, each was about $100 or so on sale as far as I recall).

I bought the Moxpad X3 (clear) and the Moxpad X6 (black).  Acutally the "GranVela® X6 PRO" on Amazon but its a Moxpad.  The X3 was $19.00 and the X6 $27.00.

The X6 is very nice, uses MMCX connectors, same as on my Sure SE215 and the other Shure and Westone models.  Good bass (better than Shure 215), the highs are extended but not as crisp as the Shure.  Overall I really like it and have been using it more than the Shures.  I get a nice seal and it did come with a number of tips.  I cannot help but listen to the bass- its very deep.  Even the box cover says "Bass HD headphones"- they clearly have tuned this for the low end. 

The X3 is also excellent for its price.  The sound is not as dynamic but for $19.00 it pumps out some nice bass and also fits well.  The cable on the X3 is sort of "tacky" (not sticky but it definitely is rubber-like).  It does not use MMCX connectors, but some other type of small detachable connector for the earpieces.  Overall it clearly looks cheaper and the cable has louder microphonics compared to the X6. 

Both X3 and X6 have memory wire on the earpieces and a 45 degree plug with a mic on the cable (works on my Android).  Each has a round soft case that is smaller than the Shure oval case.  Its a tight fit in that small case.  One odd thing is that the X3 has a little slidey dealie to adjust the length of the neck breakout, but the X6 does not (unless I lost it or something?).   

Overall a very nice purchase! 

Won't say how they compare to the Westone UM Pro 10 as I never liked those one bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back