Moving up from Senn PX200-II
Jun 26, 2015 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Johnny Jumper

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade from my Shure 215 and Creative Aurvana Live!  I also own Sennheiser PX100 II and PX 200 II.  I want some portability (I will use them in my cubicle) but I'm wanting excellent sound, especially acoustic and vocal.  I'm not a bass-head and I'm not into electronica. I do want some sound stage, though.

Are Grado's too uncomfortable and leaky?  Are Beyerdynamic T51p too warm?  Are HD25-1 II too soft?  I'd like to spend between $200 and $300US.  Are any of these really trade-ups from the Sennheiser and Creative Aurvana?

So many reviews...  Anyone have experience with these contenders?

HELP!

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 8
Except for the fact that they leak like a sieve, the Grado is a very good choice.

What will be powering and feeding these cans?  Do you have an amp?  If so, the Shure SRH 940 is a great sounding can, especially for your purposes---if you can get past their build quality issues.

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 8
I've been in the same boat (and still am). The closed portable market is pretty dire if you:
1. want to avoid looking like Princess Leia
2. want to avoid looking like you just volunteered to join the Cybermen.
3. don't want to leave hundreds of dollars on your desk at work all the time (I think M2 is way overpriced).

I've pretty much restarted using my 10 year old PX200-ii phones again in the office. I think they are almost perfect when I'm listening from my phone. They don't isolate me totally from coworkers (I use pretty low volume). Sound is decent but I'm not after hi-fi experience (gotta get some work done!). And no sweaty ears.

I will probably end up jumping on an AKG K545 deal at some point if I see a good one. They look refined, and are supposed to sound so as well. I have a pair of UE6000 that I'm not really sold on despite good reviews, Wall of Fame and all.

I'm also getting some cheap Chinese IEMs - easy to carry and swap.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 8
Good point. I actually think my PX-200ii set have opened up since I've been using them. Maybe this burn-in thing does work after all (I'm a bit of a sceptic on this).

That said, I don't mind too technical a look as long as the sound is good. I'm leaning towards the T51p as an upgrade. The Grado 225 seem to be worth investigating, but I share a space and leakage could be an issue.

Anyone have a comparison between these three cans? Is it even possible to get good portable headphones like ludvigrollover points out?

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back