Moving to Richmond, VA - advice?
May 29, 2006 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

plus_c

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I'm moving to Richmond, VA in about a month, and was wondering (since this forum has been so great at answering all my other questions) if anyone on here is from the area and can give me some advice.

Any neighborhoods I should live in or avoid? Any apartment management companies I should look out for? (Don't give me the "buy a house" lecture - I'll be working for a mortgage bank, and will be buying a house as soon as I can save for a down payment and can build a good credit history) Where are the good parks and after-work hangouts?

May 29, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 9
I live in Richmond. What area will you be working around Richmond? West End Henrico, Chesterfield, Downtown Richmond, etc. This will determine what advice anyone would give you.

Richmond compared with Philly is a small town thinking it is a big city. It has changed quite a bit since I came here in 1984. West End Henrico is the higher end of town. Renovation has taken place downtown and you can find some nice apartments near the center of town if you like. This would be in walking distance to a lot of new hang-outs that I have not taken advantage of such as the River Walk park area near the James River.

For a new comer these would be the two locations which I think, without knowing more about you, you would want to consider.

May 29, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 9
I did an internship last summer in Richmond - nice town, but I'm going to miss Philly dearly, I can tell.

I'm working for SunTrust, just on the south end of the Manchester Bridge. I've looked at some apartments downtown, but I think I really prefer the Carytown area. I actually lived in the West End last summer - it's a great area, I love Short Pump, but I think it's a little bit too suburban for my stage of life, if that makes sense at all.

Do you know where I can find apartment listings for the Carytown area?

May 29, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 9
Try this: http://richmond.va.house.info/

I found this using search on carytown and apartments

Apartment / rent $835
Large condominium in small complex. Excellent location, across the street from Byrd Park, walking distance to Fan and Carytown. Safe, quiet neighborhood. These units r (...)
Available: 9/1/05
2400 Lakeview Avenue#10, Richmond VA 23220

Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c
I did an internship last summer in Richmond - nice town, but I'm going to miss Philly dearly, I can tell.

I'm working for SunTrust, just on the south end of the Manchester Bridge. I've looked at some apartments downtown, but I think I really prefer the Carytown area. I actually lived in the West End last summer - it's a great area, I love Short Pump, but I think it's a little bit too suburban for my stage of life, if that makes sense at all.

Do you know where I can find apartment listings for the Carytown area?

May 29, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 9
Another head-fier at BC... I think we have rather many seeing how many people came to the meet... o.o

Every area in BC should be avoided after 11 at night... that's when the "dangerous" people start to appear. But that's common sense, right?
orphsmile.gif

May 29, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
Another head-fier at BC... I think we have rather many seeing how many people came to the meet... o.o

Every area in BC should be avoided after 11 at night... that's when the "dangerous" people start to appear. But that's common sense, right?
orphsmile.gif

lol i think the OP is referring to Richmond, VIRGINIA. Not Richmond, British Columbia.

May 29, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 9
But what njsong says is true now days for anywhere you may live....

Quote:

Originally Posted by n1cx
lol i think the OP is referring to Richmond, VIRGINIA. Not Richmond, British Columbia.

May 29, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the tip on that website, that helps a bit. The listing in question, unfortunately, isn't available until September, which is way out of my time frame. Will play around on that site though and see what I come up with.

Anything in particular I should know about Carytown before I set my mind on living there?

May 29, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 9
Carytown itself is considered a nice place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c
Thanks for the tip on that website, that helps a bit. The listing in question, unfortunately, isn't available until September, which is way out of my time frame. Will play around on that site though and see what I come up with.

Anything in particular I should know about Carytown before I set my mind on living there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back