Moving PC speakers to TV? Input options?
Mar 10, 2019 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

NilsOlav

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I appreciate you all suggesting me the KEF Q300s a few years back. I love these speakers. Lately however I've been plugging in my computer to a TV that is a room away, and I was wondering how you guys suggest I plug the speakers directly into the TV? Below are some screenshots of my equipment (2 subs, amp, DAC, TV input). I only need to use 1 sub, posting both in case one will work better with my TV.

https://imgur.com/a/kq5LmkS

In the order of appearance in the IMGUR link:

• SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer (currently using with KEF Q300s + amp)
  • Polk Audio PSW505 Subwoofer (alternate choice, would prefer SVS)
  • Emotiva Audio BasX A-100 Amp
  • U-Control UCA202 USB DAC
  • LG OLED B6 Series (back of TV)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 18
Please just list the exact brand and model of all your stuff, so we don't have to guess from screenshots :).

It depends on the outputs of your tv. What tv do you have? I presume it does not have any analog audio output. And if it has the quality might not be optimal.
I also presume your dac only has usb input.

Most common way would be using a receiver with hdmi or optical input. It will be an expensive option and a reciever takes a lot of space. And your existing amp will not be used.

A better way would be replacing your current (Behringer?) dac with a stereo dac with optical input and rca output. Connect that to your existing amp and your done. Something like the Fiio D03k Taishan which is really cheap. Or anything similar.

Mar 10, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 18
Mar 10, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 18
How are you sending the signal to the subwoofers?

Mar 10, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 18
Please just list the exact brand and model of all your stuff, so we don't have to guess from screenshots :).

It depends on the outputs of your tv. What tv do you have? I presume it does not have any analog audio output. And if it has the quality might not be optimal.
I also presume your dac only has usb input.

Most common way would be using a receiver with hdmi or optical input. It will be an expensive option and a reciever takes a lot of space. And your existing amp will not be used.

A better way would be replacing your current (Behringer?) dac with a stereo dac with optical input and rca output. Connect that to your existing amp and your done. Something like the Fiio D03k Taishan which is really cheap. Or anything similar.

I think picking out a DAC that will plug into the optical of my TV would be the easiest option, thanks! I added model numbers to my main post.

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 18
Looks like i guessed right about your input and output on your current hardware. I was even unsure if your amp had an volume button, but it's good to see it has one :).

A new dac will be the easiest and cheapest option. A good quality dac is really important, but cannot recommend one. I believe Fiio has a good reputation and is cheap though.

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 18
Mar 10, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 18
I agree, optical DAC, but I believe this one comes with a better DAC chip.
https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/SPDIF-9018-DAC?sort=p.price&order=ASC

My current setup is PC as audio source > 2 LR analogs go to DAC > 2 LR analogs go to amp > speakers plug into amp. What sort of cable will I need to connect this DAC to my TV? Will it carry both the L/R signals? Ideally, I'd like to maintain this setup just by getting this new DAC and the cable needed to connect DAC to TV.

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 18
My current setup is PC as audio source > 2 LR analogs go to DAC > 2 LR analogs go to amp > speakers plug into amp. What sort of cable will I need to connect this DAC to my TV? Will it carry both the L/R signals? Ideally, I'd like to maintain this setup just by getting this new DAC and the cable needed to connect DAC to TV.

what... why would you send an analog signal to a digital to analog converter, convert it to digital, and then convert it back to analog?

you would use a toslink optical cable, and yes it carries both left and right channels.

Mar 11, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #10 of 18
Zenvota is right. This step is not the way it should be: "2 LR analogs go to DAC".

Instead you should connect your Behringer to you pc using USB only. Actually the Behringer is not only a dac, it is Audio Interface, ie an external soundcard.

Besides stereo the toslink optical cable can also carry Dolby Digital and DTS, which a stereo dac cannot handle. So make sure to configure your tv to only output stereo pcm.

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #11 of 18
I use an HDMI audio extractor to get optical from my apple tv to my yggy.

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #13 of 18
I've found it sounds better. Also, some TVs don't do bitstream.

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 18
what... why would you send an analog signal to a digital to analog converter, convert it to digital, and then convert it back to analog?

you would use a toslink optical cable, and yes it carries both left and right channels.

I miswrote those steps. My behringer is connected to the PC via USB, then the next step is it goes to my subwoofer. Also, I don't think my question was clear. The 2nd DAC recommended in this thread, it doesn't look like it has both L/R 3.5mm jacks? It looks like it only has one 3.5mm jack? Would I need to 3.5mm "Y-Cable" that converts the LR into one 3.5mm?

https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/SPDIF-9018-DAC?sort=p.price&order=ASC

The one recommended earlier has LR 3.5mm jacks which is the same as my current DAC, but is it lower quality?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KNNSKV0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_66wHCb6M2SZ9G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back