Moving on from the wonderful DT-770's...
Aug 31, 2002 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

punosion

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I have recently sold my DT-770's and Porta Corda to a friend. Although sad to see them go, I had to do it, because I needed the money (many of you have been here before
wink.gif

I'll probably pick up another pair of DT-770's with the Porta Corda II that Jan has briefly mentioned in other threads, but I am very interested in other cans that have the same qualities and abilities. After the recent popularity explosion of the 770's, and reading all the posts, I have concluded that these are some of the best headphones you can find for electronic music. I love the warm, engaging presentation of these cans, and the ability of them to really kick ass on basslines and kicks.

Note that my main staple is electronic music, although I listen to just about anything that is good. Just because I like the 770's, the bass, and their warm sound, doesn't mean I'm a bass-head or a dum-bass...so no Sennheiser HD-25 or anything
wink.gif

Kelly's reviews really turned me onto the 770's, and I must say that I made the right choice. For a future headphone purchase, I am now looking at either the W100 or A100Ti. Kelly's review of the W100 makes me think that they are right up the 770's sound-alley, where other reports get me concerned about the response and sound from these cans. Others say that the A100Ti really kicks ass where the W100's may be lacking.

No amount of pouring over and over the posts has clarified a decision for me. Anyone care to comment, or make any suggestions?

Aug 31, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 12
Well, trying to help, but probably not, but I would add the CD3000 to your list. I am also one of those people who was disappointed with the bass response of the W100, but liked the A100Ti.

But I still like my DT770's as one of the best, for the reasons that you describe. I would stay stick with a known good quantity.

Aug 31, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 12
punosion: Giving the AKG K240S a listen probably wouldn't hurt...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Sep 1, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 12
When did kelly review the 770's?
confused.gif

Sep 1, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 12
Well, damnit...I read many of kelly's comments about the DT-770 last year, but I can't seem to find the posts.

lini, do you really think the AKG sound is really what I'm after? I hear this is what is notorious about most, if not all, the AKG's: a lack of visceral bass. Apparently, they make up for it in spades with imaging and soundstage, though. I'm worried that if I got the W100's, the low-end wouldn't be enough for me, which makes me hold off on them...therefore, I'm sure the AKG's wouldn't be for me.

I think a wooden headphone would just be plain cool. So would a titanium one. But, based on my "requirements," what should I go for?

Sep 1, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 12
I've got the DT770s myself, but now I'm tempted to give those new Ultrasonnes a shot after reading Jan Meier's review of them.

Sep 1, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #7 of 12
punosion: Well, a certain lack of bass can't be denied with the K401 and K501 - but the K240S is a totally different beast. It hasn't got as much bass as the DT770Pro/250 (which seems a little too overblown to me), but it's quite close to the DT531 or DT250/250. That's why I think, you should give it a listen, if you have the chance. You might be positively surprised...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Sep 1, 2002 at 10:56 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by punosion
Well, damnit...I read many of kelly's comments about the DT-770 last year, but I can't seem to find the posts.

Could be censorship...
wink.gif

I have always felt very close to kelly, I seem to share most of his convictions, so I'll just chime in.
biggrin.gif
I'd say sticking with the DT 770 Pro is your safest bet.

The W100 needs lots of break-in to develop really low bass, but finally, it will be there and it will be easily superior, deeper and more slamming than that of the Senn HD 600, for example. And to my ears, the W100's bass is a lot more accurate, tuneful and just more musical when reproducing acoustic instruments than that of the 770 Pro.

The 100Ti probably needs a lot less break-in than the W100. And the 100Ti has a slightly colder tonal balance, I guess. That's what Hirsch seems to say about it.

The 770 Pro's tonal balance is the warmest of the headphones you mentioned and it has the most bass extension and impact. If that's what you're looking for, just get another 770 Pro.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 12
Actually, gloco, I was wrong...it was Tomcat's reviews that I went on when considering my purchase of the DT-770's. I'm not sure kelly ever reviewed them. When I ordered from Jan, I was in PM communication with kelly regarding Jan's delivery times (very fast I might add), so that's why I got a little confused
wink.gif

Tomcat, what I want is a great headphone that will provide me excellent sound that would last me many, many years. While I consider the DT-770's to be a headphone that would fill this role, I want to experiment a bit...maybe move on to something with a bit more class. I don't really care if it takes the W100 many hours to break in, because I think it would be cool to hear how the sound changes over time. They simply look beautiful, and apparently, the comfort is top-notch.

My friend is on the verge of purchasing either the ER6 or the ER-4S. Maybe I'll have to try those out before I make any sort of decision. You know, just to complicate things more
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 12
Even though I haven't heard the 770s, I would like to take this time to recommend the W100.

The w100 does not lack bass, but it is very well balanced. It doesn't feel out of place with the rest of the music. It does have I nice slam with the drum beats, and it digs down to create accurate bass.

These headphones have a very clean, very transparent sound. I really do love these headphones, and I don't see myself upgrading for a long long time.

Oh, and comfort is top notch. These things almost dissapear when you wearing them.

the wood is very beautiful as well. i wouldn't wear them in public, just because they are so big. they are beautiful though. You would get a lot of looks in public. They do look good on the head, and I wouldn't be ashamed to wear them around people within the comfort of my own home.

Sep 4, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #11 of 12
You know, I'd like to review the DT770 at some point.
smily_headphones1.gif

Somehow I feel flattered by the confusion.

Sep 4, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #12 of 12
I own both the 770 and the W100. The 770 has clearly superior bass performance: deeper, stronger, more impactful. It's less transparent in the midrange, but also has a fuller sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back