Moving on from the AKG K551...? B&O H6?
May 1, 2016 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RoundRound

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I had the K551 for several years now and I love them, especially for traveling, they sounds great comfy and easy to drive from an iPhone. I'm familiar with high end headphones (my other pair is an HD700 + Hugo) - but they are not practical when traveling...

A good friend who had the K551 has recently moved to the B&O H6 and felt they are much better. Can someone please compare the to the AKG? If not the B&O what other models would you suggest? up to $400 - other than sound and comfort it's really important for me that they are easily driver by an iPhone 6 - I like to travel light and would avoid an extra amp...

Thank you!

May 2, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 6
I haven't heard them yet, but the Oppo PM-3 would be worth looking into:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/oppo-pm-3-competent-comfortable-mobile-headphone#20XrSDVhJD1mU9TF.97

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 6
If anyone is interested I got the B&O H6 gen2 and it's briliant!

I'm very happy with them and it's an amazing upgrade over the already great K551 - a whole new level of details and Bass - without being 'Beats'.

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 6
I went from the K550 MK II (used to have K550 too) to the 2nd Gen H6 to the Sennheiser Cs, but now I've gone BACK to AKG but this time the K551 b/c of the shorter cable. The 2nd Gen H6 simply became a bit too uncomfortable for me (and a friend of mine who also bought it based on my suggestion agreed and returned his too) b/c of the earcups/earpads NOT being quite big enough (I really believe they're more on-ear than over-ear TBH). The Cs (and I THINK H6 too??) were missing some of the magic I got from the AKG K55X series. And by "magic" I'm referring to the vocals. They sounded a lot more narrow on at least the Cs but I think the H6s too?? Not sure. I've left AKG a couple times now, and I always end up going back. This time I plan on staying for good, ESPECIALLY with the custom EQ I just applied to it via Poweramp (see link below). 

Also, here's a great custom EQ for Poweramp for use on the K55X series, esp K551.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back