moving from Windows to Mac, is iTunes at all realistic for audiophiles?
Jul 31, 2016 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

johncarm

100+ Head-Fier
I'm moving my computer audio setup from Windows to OS X and I am having trouble finding the right software and reconfiguring my music library.

I want to explore for a moment the idea that I use iTunes. This is NOT a question about other media players, I can deal with that issue separately as needed.

The advantage of iTunes is that is it best user interface I know.

From what I have read, it can play high-res formats, perhaps with a plugin or something integrated with it. It can even play DSD files through the use of stub files and integration with other software. Is any of this true?

But iTunes definitely can't play FLAC. So I need to convert my FLAC files (which represent 95% of my collection) to Apple Lossless. 

I tried to do that with Foobar2000, but the resulting files are not recognized by iTunes. They are m4a files, and I only converted a few of my FLAC files in order to test the process. So anyone have an idea about the best way to convert?

Many of my albums are single FLAC files with a cuesheet. I may need to convert them to tracks with the help of Foobar2000, before converting to Apple Lossless.

About 15% of my FLAC files are high res. I only really need to play the ones that are 24/96. I don't have any good music at higher rates. 

I also have some DSD files, but I don't mind converting those to 24/96 first. It may be a loss of quality, but they aren't very good recordings anyway.

Jul 31, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm moving my computer audio setup from Windows to OS X and I am having trouble finding the right software and reconfiguring my music library.

I want to explore for a moment the idea that I use iTunes. This is NOT a question about other media players, I can deal with that issue separately as needed.

The advantage of iTunes is that is it best user interface I know.

From what I have read, it can play high-res formats, perhaps with a plugin or something integrated with it. It can even play DSD files through the use of stub files and integration with other software. Is any of this true?

But iTunes definitely can't play FLAC. So I need to convert my FLAC files (which represent 95% of my collection) to Apple Lossless. 

I tried to do that with Foobar2000, but the resulting files are not recognized by iTunes. They are m4a files, and I only converted a few of my FLAC files in order to test the process. So anyone have an idea about the best way to convert?

Many of my albums are single FLAC files with a cuesheet. I may need to convert them to tracks with the help of Foobar2000, before converting to Apple Lossless.

About 15% of my FLAC files are high res. I only really need to play the ones that are 24/96. I don't have any good music at higher rates. 

I also have some DSD files, but I don't mind converting those to 24/96 first. It may be a loss of quality, but they aren't very good recordings anyway.

It's super expensive but I believe it sounds best?

Plays all you need. Try the free demo.

http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/amarra.php

Jul 31, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 11
ITunes is bitperfect as it is, sounds fine for me. The extra BitPerfect software makes iTunes autoswitch samplerates, which was the only real drawback.

you can try other software lioe Amarra and PureMusic. Free trials available. I'd suggest trying Roon for a great interface and also supporting DSD if that's your thing.

Comvert to ALAC using XLD on the Mac.

Jul 31, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 11
ITunes is bitperfect as it is, sounds fine for me. The extra BitPerfect software makes iTunes autoswitch samplerates, which was the only real drawback.

iTunes is not bit-perfect. The fact that it resamples instead of switching the output sample rate is proof of this.

My recommendation is JRiver since it plays just about anything and it's cross-platform. Win/Mac/Linux. (though best on Windows since it only went multiplatform a year or two ago)

Jul 31, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 11

you can try other software lioe Amarra and PureMusic. Free trials available. I'd suggest trying Roon for a great interface and also supporting DSD if that's your thing.

Comvert to ALAC using XLD on the Mac.

Does iTunes play high-resolution PCM formats? Does it need any auxiallary software to do so?

Can iTunes organize and give an interface to DSD files (even if it needs auxillary software to play)?

Are you saying that without BitPerfect, iTunes messes up sample rates somehow? 

Jul 31, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 11
Ok, iTunes is bitperfect for the samplerate set in AudioMidi and if the volume is at 100%. Normal CD, which still is the most used quality, is bitperfect by default. BitPerfect helps to overcome this.

High res PCM is no problem, dont think it'll do DSD unless it is in a pcm container for DoP? I don't use DSD so have no idea how this is distributed.

Without BitPerfect it won't switch samplerates, so if AudioMidi is at 44.1 then that is what you'll get. I got it for $10 years ago, can't quickly find the current price but it does seem to offer a DSD workaround as well.

Jul 31, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 11
In the end it's just about hearing a difference. Many of us have done the footwork and tried different stuff.

For many itunes is fine, It depends on your ears and equipment..

You need to take the information and do some testing, as everyone is going to have different ideas.

Because it's fun!

Jul 31, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 11
Al OS work more or less in the same way concerning audio.

They expect multiple audio streams e.g. you are listening to some music but don’t want to miss an email notification.
As it are multiple streams, one need a mixer.
As a sound card can only run at 1 sample rate at the time, all streams must have the same sample rate.
This is set in the Win audio sound panel or the audio midi in OSX.
Hence all audio runs at a fixed sample rate and must be resampled if it differs from the rate as set.

As there is a very specific situation, only 1 stream is running and at exactly at unity gain,  mixers ignore this and convert all streams to float, mix, dither and convert back to integer.
By design the output will never be bit perfect.

In Win you can avoid all of  this by bypassing the mixer using a driver like WASAPI or ASIO, in OSX this can be done by using a media player supporting Integer mode or using DAC’s with a ASIO interface.

Maybe this page on my website is of use as it list some alternatives to iTunes.
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/OSX/Players.htm

Jul 31, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #9 of 11
  Al OS work more or less in the same way concerning audio.

They expect multiple audio streams e.g. you are listening to some music but don’t want to miss an email notification.
As it are multiple streams, one need a mixer.
As a sound card can only run at 1 sample rate at the time, all streams must have the same sample rate.
This is set in the Win audio sound panel or the audio midi in OSX.
Hence all audio runs at a fixed sample rate and must be resampled if it differs from the rate as set.

As there is a very specific situation, only 1 stream is running and at exactly at unity gain,  mixers ignore this and convert all streams to float, mix, dither and convert back to integer.
By design the output will never be bit perfect.

In Win you can avoid all of  this by bypassing the mixer using a driver like WASAPI or ASIO, in OSX this can be done by using a media player supporting Integer mode or using DAC’s with a ASIO interface.

Maybe this page on my website is of use as it list some alternatives to iTunes.
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/OSX/Players.htm

Does iTunes support Integer mode?

I have two USB DACs. (1) iFi Nano. (2) Trends (modified, sounds much better than stock, does up to 24/96 or I can use it as an S/PDIF source to another DAC with S/PDIF input). The iFi has an ASIO driver in Windows, but does not provide a driver for OS X, saying it's handled by the OS. The Trends does not have any driver at all, but with Foobar2000 in Windows it works up to 24/96. 

It sounds like you are saying that bit perfect playback is impossible without using Integer mode or ASIO.

Would ASIO4ALL work in OS X with the iFi or Trends?

Jul 31, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #10 of 11
For all I know, OSX doesn't alter the output if there is one stream. By default, it will be bitperfect with one stream in the 'normal' 44.1kHz frequency.

Anyway, since there is HiRes in play: The BitPerfect software is needed to automatically switch between CD and HiRes material. Great tool for only a few bucks.

-
You don't normally need drivers for audio in OSX (except the first HiFace adapter...). Integer setting is done in AudioMidi or other 'deeper' software like mentioned BitPerfect. iTunes will use it if it is set correctly, no problems. Not necessarily needed for bitperfect output, (added zero's are ignored by the DAC) but purist audiophile will feel it's better.

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 11
iTunes and Bitperfect are fine for 16/44. You could use it the rest of your life and be perfectly happy.

For everything else try out Audirvana, I feel it sounds best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back