Moving from PCMIA to USB amp.
May 23, 2011 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

EricTheRed03

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,
             For the last 5 years I've been using a PCMIA slot solution (Echo Indigo IO) and I really liked the sound quality! I will miss this card because my new Laptop doesn't have a PCMIA slot. My question, can I get a USB sound card for less than $200 with good quality? Isn't USB 2.0 limited by bandwidth issues??

My goal is to use them with my AudioEngine A5's Speakers + Sennheiser 485 headphones. Any help on finding a USB product as good as my Echo Indigo IO was would really be appreciated.

I found the uDAC-2's is that good and how do these compare to my Indigo PCMIA card?

May 24, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 3
There isn't really a lot right at the $200 price range. There are a bunch of things <150 and >250, but there really seems to be a dead spot right at $200. You could go with something like the FiiO E7 for ~$100. You can than add on a FiiO E9 amp for another ~$130. The only problem with the E9 is that it isn't portable.

I really love my HRT Music Streamer II for ~150. The only problem is that it doesn't have any type of built in amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back