Moving from HD based player to flash
Jul 30, 2008 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Eric_K

New Head-Fier
Can anyone with experience moving from a harddrive based player (say, 80gb iPod) to a smaller 16 gb flash player (maybe Sony 729) comment on it? My second iPod has dropped dead, and I'm planning on picking up the Sony. I've gone through my 60gig of music, and found 12gig is on my "essential" list. I'm used to having everything available all the time, even though I rarely listen to the majority.

Thanks.

-Eric

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 7
I've recently gone from a Zune 30 to a 16GB D2 and I haven't even filled up that original 16GB, let alone the 16GB SD card I bought to bring it to 32GB. I've found that a lot of the things I had on the Zune I just didn't feel like bringing on over to the D2. I share your feelings about having everything available all the time and will likely have times where I wish I had taken the time to put those files on the D2 but that's just something I'll have to deal with when it happens.

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 7
I have moved from a 20GB Iriver H320 to an 8 GB D2. I have a 1 GB card for namesake, but like aegid, I feel no need to add a higher cap. card.

I am also used to having all the music on me all the time. But my music collection (now 100 GB +) will always keep way ahead of my portable storage space.

Shifting to 8GB was more of a mindset shift. I need to remember to refresh the content at least once a week. I do find that now I listen to all my music as compared to earlier when I only worked off favorite playlists.

I love the 'drag and drop' feature as it makes it easy for me to remove/ retain different songs.

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Moved from iHP140 to 8GB iAudio 7.

I find I'm not swapping music to and from the player as much as I imagined.

Playlist support on i7 isn't too good v the rockboxed iHP140, so like the poster above, I find myself listening to more of my music despite the lower capacity.

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 7
I went from an 80GB iPod to a 4GB D2. I own, however, enough 16GB SDHC cards to contain my music collection. I use the 4GB as my 'frequent' playlist, and the cards as my archive/backup. I like it and am happy I decided to switch to flash based players.

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 7
I have had several HDD players (iRiver H120, Zune 30, iPod 20GB), and I find most often I use my smaller players. I primarily use my 8GB iPod mini. I found that having all of my music with me all the time just got way to distracting. Often it would take me longer to pick out something to listen to, then I might spend listening to the music. I found 8-10GB to be the perfect median for me. I could still carry a lot of music with me, but it was a lot easier to pick something to listen to just because I am limited to a certain extent.

I do still use my larger players, but they are used more road trips, and longer outing, than just wandering around town for the day.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 7
I've considered going back to HD but the flash based players are so much more reliable IMO. Never had a skip or a freeze based on the flash. Great SQ and, with the exception of the Classic, LOOOONG battery life. Really makes you think twice before going back. Given a little time the capacity will be equal to a HD player and the HD will start to be fazed out (most companies are starting to stop now - Sony, Creative).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back