Moving from E4 / SCL4. Please help.
Jan 25, 2010 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ckacosta

New Head-Fier
I have been a very happy user of the E4 and SCL4 for > five years. The fit, isolation, comfort, and sound have been absolutely perfect for me. I can wear these for hours at a time, with a perfect seal and perfect comfort. I have loved them.

But,

I am currently on my fourth pair. I have returned all my previous pairs back to Shure under warranty because of serious cable problems, crackling, static, etc. After about a year, every pair I have owned has had the same problem.
I have seriously babied my last two pairs. I never stretch the cable, and I always keep them in the clamshell case.

I am extremely satisfied with Shure support. They have replaced them for me every time with no hassle. But I am now wondering if I should go for a fifth pair under warranty, or should I try something else? Is there a build or quality problem with this particular IEM?

I don't want to replace these every year, even if it is free. I don't want to be without them for six weeks at a time.
Is there another IEM that I will like as much?

Has anyone else moved from this IEM to another brand?
$200 - $300

Thanks.

Jan 25, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 7
I bought my brother a pair of SCL4s a little over a year ago and he enjoyed them. Later on, I got him a pair of the UE Triple.Fi 10s and he enjoys those much more than the SCL4s. I have a pair of SE530s and I personally like the Triple.Fis a lot more than my Shures.

There are obviously other choices, and some of the other members on the forum have experience with more higher-end universal IEMs than I do, so you could always look into other options such as the Westones or Sennheisers. Hope this helps!

Jan 25, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 7
This is a problem with the cable on Shure's IEMs and why I will no longer buy any of their products with out a user replaceable cable. They just refreshed two of their top end models, (the SE425 and SE535 respectively) and they now have replaceable cables. Still, they sadly seem to use a proprietary connector and I would be reluctant to purchase them with out knowing the cost of the replacement. It's a step in the right direction anyway. And quite frankly after going through 3 pairs of their earphones in nearly as many years despite my efforts to treat them well, I'm not sure that I want to give Shure anymore of my money period.

My last IEM was the Shure SCL4 and it has been replaced with the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10. I am happy with the TF10, but it is very different sound imho.

Jan 25, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 7
I started with the E4c four years ago, and with the exception of one cable strain relief replacement, they have been great. They led me to all the other IEMs I own. If you like the Shure sound, a natural step up would be the E530, but cable problems seem to remain. An alternative could be the new E535 with the replaceable cable. I also like the Shure E5c/SCL5, which I believe has the best cable in Shure's lineup mine has taken tremendous abuse, and it's still going strong after almost 4 years). Good sound similarity to the E4, but with more bass and a bit more treble

I went from the E4c to the Etymotic ER-4P. A similar bass, but much more refined and delicate treble, with a more natural midrange (Shure's mids can be a bit too forward and fatiguing for me after long listening sessions). And a great cable, no issues after 4 years with them either.

Of course there a many more options now. Westone's UM2, UM3X, 3, etc., Sennheiser IEx, and even Monster Turbine and Pro are all great options.

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 7
u could always get them replaced and then sell them and get some new iem's. I think I went from the E4 to the RE0 and then added on the TF10. Well I had other stuff as well in between but they didn't last very long.

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 7
I'd try out another manufacturer. Shure has been plagued by cable problems for as long as I've been familiar with them, and they don't seem too eager to change methods (except for the new replaceable cables, but only on the top 2 models? Not worth it imho). As another member suggested, try out some ety's or a cheap pair of triple.fi's. Both have user-replaceable cables (only the ER4 on the ety side) and treble that blows anything Shure out of the water (including the SE530).

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 7
I moved from the Shure SCL4 as well. I had to return mine 4 times and I haven't put much use in my last pair because I purchased the Sennheiser IE8, which is dramatically better in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back