Moving from a loud speaker rig to headphone rig
Dec 9, 2001 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bcohen

New Head-Fier
Since I will be moving with in with my girlfriend to a new apt., I have decided to "slim" down my systems, but slim only in the physical sense, not musical!

As for now, I have 2 setups. One home theater'ish setup, HK AVR510 receiver, DVD player, Parasound CD changer, B&W P5, CC6 speakers, Jamo rears, SUnfire sub. This rig is used probably 80/20, HT/music. In my other extra room, I have a tube setup including: Totem Acoustic One, Sonic Frontiers Line 2, Anthem AMp 1, Perpetual Tech P-1A/P-3A combo, and a DVD player as the source.

I have realized over the past 6 months that most of my listening, even on this music tube-only system has been with the Line 2 headphone output (has Headroom processor) and my Sennhieser 600's. I have decided that I have too much equipment, and I need to turn my music-only setup into a headphone rig.

I have a Total Airhead matched with a Neo Jukebox 30gig mp3 player (I LOVE this, check out http://www.ssiamerica.com for more info. Ecnoding at 160k and 192k for the better recordings sounds darn good, and to have ALL my CDs on one portable HD system....its great), and Ety 4S for my portable used. I owned in the past the Cosmic, but sold it awhile ago because it was too bulky for true portability.

Anyway, I am familiar with Headroom amps, so my question(s) to y'all or as follows. My plan is to sell the Totems, Line 2, and Amp 1, and buy either a Maxed Out Home or a Max. If I bought the Home unit, that would leave my money to upgrade my source, instead of the DVD player I have now, maybe a SACD player.

What do you guys think? With the DVD player and Perptual Tech P-1A/P-3A, should I get the Max, or Maxed Out Home and upgrade the source. I orginally was using the DVD player hooked up to a TV also, but that will change in my new apartment. I will be listening to the "future" headphone rig in the computer room/2nd bedroom.

Comments?

-Brian

Dec 9, 2001 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 3
I think you should get one of the Sony ES line of DVD/SACD players and mod it at modwright. Then you can sell a bunch of equipment. Maybe add a Melos SHA-1 in there as the amp? Then you'll have a heck of a source, tubes, and a heck of an amp.

Dec 9, 2001 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 3
That is a tough call. The Perpetual Tech combo is supposed to be pretty good. But if you can afford one of the better Sony SACD players, like maybe a used 777ES and get it modded, you should be set for quite a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back