Moving companies
Oct 6, 2002 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rickfri

No longer lurking
I have just recently retired and purchased a house that is cross country (well almost purchased, it is in escrow now).
Does anybody have any suggestions on moving companies? Also any hints on moving etiquette (tipping the movers, insurance, etc.).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 6, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 2
I haven't moved in some time so my recommendations would be very dated. A couple of suggestions from my moves. I have never paid for my moves but I did get a chance to look at the bills.

One thing that really drives up the cost is packing and unpacking. I would suggest doing most yourself and leaving the fragile pieces to the movers.

Get a list from your mover of what they will not pack in the van and either dispose of it or rent a trailer. This will make the move go smoother as you won't need to figure out what to do with the banned stuff at the last minute.

Weight=Cost Make sure that everything you ship is worthy of the trip if you are paying the bill.

On one cross country move I made at the Govt's expense I was supplied with large wooden crates by a shipping company. I packed them and they nailed them up and shipped them. As I remember this was a very inexpensive way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back