Moving away from the x-fi
Jan 18, 2007 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chris_ah1

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, now as much as I love my x-fi (since I game a lot) and listen to music for hours on end which doesn't lend itself to precise analytical listening, I understand that the sound is rather processed and a tad fake.

Is there any simple USB device I can use that would help me avoid the x-fi when I want to seriously sit down and enjoy music rather than having it in the background?

Would a simple USB line out device be adequate going to a relatively decent headphone amp?

I realise that people might suggest a Juli& or 1212 but I don't have a spare PCI slot. I could go USB with 0202 or 0404 but do those give significantly better performance than any other simple 1vrms line out device?

Are there any other USB dacs you would recommend?
I guess i could get a meieir corda MKIII or a headphonia, but I was hoping to get a supermacro or portaphile or xenos once I get the cash saved to pair it with the DAC.

From what I can see a 0202 or 0404 with my headphones would probably not need any amplification (max 120Ohms)...would that be a better solution than a simple line out an amp?

I don't want to spend $1000s either.

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 11
You can connect your X-Fi to an external DAC. The DAC will take over the entire output stage of your X-Fi. So you get great sound while still using your X-Fi's and its drivers and software.

Jan 18, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 11
ah right - yes, use the digital out port on the x-fi.

So what relatively reasonable DAC would you recommend that would be better than a USB solution?

p.s. only reason I was considering usb was that it would also allow me to use it on my ibook which has pitiful audio.

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah right - yes, use the digital out port on the x-fi.

So what relatively reasonable DAC would you recommend that would be better than a USB solution?

p.s. only reason I was considering usb was that it would also allow me to use it on my ibook which has pitiful audio.

The Dedicated Source forum is entirely dedicated to DACs, so it's a huge topic. But the advantage of a DAC over USB is that the DAC still allows you to play games with all the advantage of X-Fi's game sound processing, so you are still using the same sound card. I recommend the Zhaolu 2.5A. It's $129 and has a lot of modding potential. A fully modded Zhaolu is considered better than many $1000+ DACs.

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 11
for under $50 you could probably find an Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 on ebay, and for under $100 you could find a 205.2. I'm using the 205.2 with my X-Fi and an optical cable and it sounds great.

Jan 19, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #6 of 11
X-Fi is capable of bit-perfect playback. So long as you set it up properly in Audio Creation mode with ASIO drivers it doesn't process the music one bit. So definatly go for an external DAC.

Jan 19, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks - it looks very good. Only $300 too. Any details on the headphone amp side of it?

I would need 220V though so it might take a bit longer - are the other DACs they have at pacific value worth considering?

Is the DIYEDEN Great March Madness any good? I couldn't see how you would change the volume on it though.
As long as I could use either instead of a device+amplifier.

Jan 19, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for under $50 you could probably find an Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 on ebay, and for under $100 you could find a 205.2. I'm using the 205.2 with my X-Fi and an optical cable and it sounds great.

Your X-FI analog sound worse than your DAC ?

Jan 20, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 11
Yeah, I am wondering whether the MD-10 would be better than my current analogue x-fi and govibe5.

It does look lovely for when I go away with the laptop.

How does the MD-10 stack up against the EMU 0202?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back