Moving away from IEM’s for everything but travel
May 13, 2009 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

cn11

Headphoneus Supremus
Like the title says, I think I’m pretty much done with IEM’s for daily use. I knew I wanted to give headphones a try for use at work partly in order to spare my ears from the hours per day with something stuffed inside them (and also a raging ear infection which I’m pretty sure resulted from way too many uninterrupted hours with my IE8’s), and partly to begin learning what a good set of cans is capable of. Well my search for a good closed ‘phone has involved trying several options, all of which until now have been rather fruitless. Headphones I’ve tried out so far are: AKG K81DJ, Denon AH-D1001, and Denon AH-D2000. None gave a complete enough sound picture to make me say, ‘yeah, that’s IT’. So I kept digging through threads and reviews...

I started seeing more and more about the Ultrasone HFI-780. So I decided to browse the FS section and found a pair available that had been Mogami recabled. I decided to take the risk and try them. Long story short, I’m so glad I did. These are so much more of what I was looking for. Huge but tight bass presence (which when reading up was what swayed me to give them a try), but the mids and treble are so much more open and natural sounding than the other phones I tried. It’s really good stuff, and such an involving experience listening to all genres of music. They’re doing so much more- enormous and encompassing sound stage, detail, instrument placement, and bass impact- than my IE8’s ever could hope to. Now I notice a lack of soundstage with the IE8's in comparison (imagine that)! Treble is much less refined or extended, and the mids sound chesty and nasally. I truly never thought I would say those things about them. And I realize it’s not a fair fight.

It’s rather disappointing to go back to any of my IEM’s now. At least with the IE8’s after a little while of acclimation back to their sound I can get used to them again. Unfortunately I’m afraid I’m spoiled by what a good set of cans can offer, and will wind up relegating my IEM’s to situations where isolation, extreme portability, or travel, dictate their use. I’m starting to wonder if any universal IEM will stand a chance. If I were inclined to try a custom, perhaps that would come close, but I’m not so I won’t get to find that out.

Seller's pic:
HFI%20780%201a.jpg

Pics for size comparison:
Three%20Phones%202.JPG

Side%20by%20side%201.JPG

Side%20by%20side%202.JPG

Side%20by%20side%203.JPG

A couple better new shots:
HFI-780full.jpg

HFI-780%20earcup%20close%20up.JPG

May 13, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 36
How were the D2000s compared to the IE8? Headphones always tend to sound better.

May 13, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 36
The D2000's had waayyy more treble detail than the IE8's, but it was a bit brittle sounding after the smoothness of the IE8's. I think some of the problem was that they didn't fit well and were so loose on my head, while the 780's have a little more clamping/sealing effect so they offer a fuller sound.

May 13, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2000's had waayyy more treble detail than the IE8's, but it was a bit brittle sounding after the smoothness of the IE8's. I think some of the problem was that they didn't fit well and were so loose on my head, while the 780's have a little more clamping/sealing effect so they offer a fuller sound.

wonder how much you paid for it? Seems a ncie upgrade, and the size is ok for me, I mean I am reluctant to carry big stuff on head around, but this size seems quite portable considering from what I saw at the photo.

Btw, How is ISO?

May 13, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shouldn't this be in the full-size forum?

No, it's about IEM's as much as the headphones.

May 13, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 36
gameboy115-
They're a little larger than they appear in the photo, but still quite transportable. I take them back and forth to work each day in my backpack. They fold up quite nicely. I guess they're not truly a full size headphone. Now the D2000's were HUGE, GARGANTUAN, GINORMOUS!!! Looks like you're trying to contact the Mother Ship with them. Photos don't do their size justice at all.

Isolation on the 780's is actually rather good. It totally drowns out noise around the office, without leaking out any sound. A coworker came in to try them today, and he had the volume up pretty loud, and once on I couldn't hear anything even though he was standing right next to me.

May 13, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gameboy115-
They're a little larger than they appear in the photo, but still quite transportable. I take them back and forth to work each day in my backpack. They fold up quite nicely. I guess they're not truly a full size headphone. Now the D2000's were HUGE, GARGANTUAN, GINORMOUS!!! Looks like you're trying to contact the Mother Ship with them. Photos don't do their size justice at all.

Isolation on the 780's is actually rather good. It totally drowns out noise around the office, without leaking out any sound. A coworker came in to try them today, and he had the volume up pretty loud, and once on I couldn't hear anything even though he was stand right next to me.

I got a crappy sony full size can, not to mention it is huge, ISO is really bad. It is like people around can easily hear what I am listening at, but the thing is I just try to match the same vol as I could get from IE8, like 40% vol from my iphone.

Since you are IE8 lover, same with me. I have to keep my eye on this new baby, seems it just looks way too sexy
evil_smiley.gif

Btw, can u tell me how much you paid for it. You could always pm me if you dun want to divulge here
wink.gif
thanks

May 13, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #11 of 36
I just sent you a PM.

May 13, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #12 of 36
Nice article, I am starting to toy with the idea of at least having a nice full size can, how do you find the comfort of the HFI-780, I read they could be a bit sore on the head after a while which has kept me from trying them as I find any phones pressing on my ears start to hurt. I am toying with some of the open air phones designed for comfort and minimal clamp pressure (for at home where I don't have to worry about isolation).

BTW this definitely belongs in the portable forum as it is for portable phones not just IEM's (I believe your cans are considered portable, right?).

May 13, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #13 of 36
I am using full sized cans for many years, and to me, IEMs fit my listening preferences better than cans, in term of

Sony MDR-CD3000 (17 years old) vs Phonak Audeo PFE (3 months)

1) Portability : No comparison

2) Seal and isolation : IEMs win by far

3) Accuracy : Sound is more beautiful with IEMs. Eventhough the head/soundstage is smaller, but, the musical separations way better with IEMs.

4) Comfort : I am sweating like a .... when wearing full sized can, and not quite comfortable for long hours listening.

Just my ¥2.
Thank you.

May 13, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice article, I am starting to toy with the idea of at least having a nice full size can, how do you find the comfort of the HFI-780, I read they could be a bit sore on the head after a while which has kept me from trying them as I find any phones pressing on my ears start to hurt. I am toying with some of the open air phones designed for comfort and minimal clamp pressure (for at home where I don't have to worry about isolation).

BTW this definitely belongs in the portable forum as it is for portable phones not just IEM's (I believe your cans are considered portable, right?).

I find the comfort just about perfect. They clamp a little bit, but not to the extent of the K81DJ's. Those can be very uncomfortable over time. Both Denons are the opposite extreme, in that they are very loose- but the 1001's isolate a tad better because of the smaller ear cup size. The 780's are right in between. Just enough force to keep the ear cups tight so that you get some seal and keep the full spectrum, while allowing them to be comfortable. The pads are pleather so they may make your ears sweat a little, but I have read that you can swap them out to velour if you want. Definitely search on that one though as I haven't subscribed to any threads regarding pads.

If you're looking for open back phones, these are not open. They are closed and therefore don't allow sound leakage, and do isolate rather well. As for portability, yeah, they're designed that way. The ear cups rotate, as well as fold up into the headband. They're a little larger than the Denon 1001's, but nowhere near as big as the D2000's.

May 13, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using full sized cans for many years, and to me, IEMs fit my listening preferences better than cans, in term of

Sony MDR-CD3000 (17 years old) vs Phonak Audeo PFE (3 months)

1) Portability : No comparison

2) Seal and isolation : IEMs win by far

3) Accuracy : Sound is more beautiful with IEMs. Eventhough the head/soundstage is smaller, but, the musical separations way better with IEMs.

4) Comfort : I am sweating like a .... when wearing full sized can, and not quite comfortable for long hours listening.

Just my ¥2.
Thank you.

No worries! I'm glad you've found what suits you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back