Moving away from 580
Oct 31, 2007 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

chewmanji

100+ Head-Fier
Well, it's been a while since I've been at these boards. Anyway, I've never been too hardcore into cans anyway, but I had a few questions.

I had a pair of HD580's that I LOVED, but since moving away from home to work i've left those headphones for my dad to use. I'm looking for something to run off my computer (not built yet, laptop for now) and a Zen Vision:M.

I really liked the sound of my old 580's, but I was wondering if there's anything similar that could be recommended for $200-$250 max range that might not need an amp. I typically use headphones for all types of music, gaming, and voice chat (Ventrilo, Skype, etc.). More than likely I won't be using the new cans with my portable player.

I've looked at the DT770-80 or the AT A900 as possible closed can solutions, but ultimately open or closed doesn't matter. Comfort is a big issue, which is why I liked the Senns so much. No Grado here, thanks
tongue.gif
. I didn't like my old SR80 all that much.

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 2
My dad got my sister a pair of Sennheiser HD280 for her birthday, and last night he compared them to the Koss KSC75 using a Heed CanAmp. He preferred the KSC75 (as do I). I listened briefly to the HD280 and they had that impossible to miss Sennheiser house sound, reminding me of the HD580 quite a bit. However, I wasn't very impressed - I thought they had a plastic tonality and a creaky, cheap build-quality. The HD595 might work for you. Amped I think the HD580 sounded a lot better, but if you're using just a laptop that won't be a factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back