movies on A2. please help.
Apr 19, 2006 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

redquilang

Head-Fier
how do you put movies on the A2? i use dvd shrink to rip dvds but it produces a bunch of files that are unreadable by my A2. and to make it worse, it takes 4gb for one movie.

Is there any software i can get to rip the dvd into one file readable by my A2 and in a much smaller size?

how do you guys get movies on your A2?

thank you

Apr 19, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 14
Also are you a member on iAudiophile.net? You should definitely join if not. Did you just get an A2? Let me know about your experience with it. I am planning on buying it soon.

Apr 23, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 14
sorry for the late response. anyways, so far i like the a2 but i still have yet to get used to it.

audiowise, it sounds great but i hear a slight hiss when it gets more silent. i dont know if thats unique to the a2, if its from the cd recording, or thats common to all daps.

with the functions, its like a swiss army knife. unfortunately some functions dont work well. the usb host for example is limited to certain devices and happens not to work on my digital camera. the lyrics are also pretty useless to english speaking users, because you cant find any lyrics on the search function, so youre left to type it all up (since you cant copy and past if theres commas in the lyrics). most features are really nice though, such as the ability to record basically anything. its quick and easy.

its a bit slow, but thats expected from something that could do so much. it also frequently freezes if you press too many buttons to quickly on certain functions but you can always turn it off and back on.

i havent got used to the joy stick and its hard to just press it. it often goes in a direction before you press it. its something you have to get used to though.

the video is great, unless you plan waching it in the sunlight. the direct sunlight makes it hard to see anything, but its great indoors. the screen itself is less scratch prone than the ipods, but for some reason, dust snuck in under it so im trying to find someway to clean under there.

umm. and its pretty big, especially with the case (which is nice. its not a leather jacket, but its nice) so the only way to slip in a pocket is without a case. even then, its thicker than my 3g 20g ipod with the iskin.

well thats about it for my rambling. and though all i have said has been pretty negative, i really really like this machine. i just highlighted some of its shortcomings that should be taken into consideration. its quite easy to use however, and preforms great. and like i said before, its a swiss army knife. i HIGHLY recommend it. it fits my criteria perfectly. the size is just a small sacrifice. but again, its a very very nice machine.

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 14
try using FairUse to rip/encode your DVDs. it rips and then encodes to your choice of divx or xvid. plus it's free (with a 700mb output file limit), or you can spend $10 to get the full version without the limit.

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 14
My best result using the ZVM is to first use DVD Shrink and then run PocketDIVX to generate an .avi file that gives me a nice blend of size vs quality. I've compared it to the video files I generate for my daughter on her video ipod and find them to be slightly better in quality but much smaller in file size. Hope this helps.

Apr 24, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 14
Ugh my A2 went dead. I RMAed it to Cowon and I'm hoping everything goes smoothly. I watched the entire Lord of the Rings series straight because I had nothing better to do in my bed with my A2 and A700s. I love that thing.

Apr 24, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #10 of 14
redquilang, have you updated to the latest A2 firmware? Maybe this will fix some of the problems you have been encountering.

The latest firmware is 1.73, but who knows how long until Cowon releases another firmware update!
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
redquilang, have you updated to the latest A2 firmware? Maybe this will fix some of the problems you have been encountering.

The latest firmware is 1.73, but who knows how long until Cowon releases another firmware update!
biggrin.gif

At the rate they're going, next week will be the next beta release.

Apr 24, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
Ugh my A2 went dead. I RMAed it to Cowon and I'm hoping everything goes smoothly. I watched the entire Lord of the Rings series straight because I had nothing better to do in my bed with my A2 and A700s. I love that thing.

It's too bad Cowon is slipping in terms of reliability. First it's the X5's joystick control and now the A2s are just coming DOA. But their Customer Service really will take care of you quickly. But Cowon won't keep their customers with only good service. They have to make good products too!

Apr 24, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
At the rate they're going, next week will be the next beta release.

In most cases DAP manufactures need to work on their software, but Cowon needs to work on their hardware. Although it is nice that Cowon really listens to owners when it comes to firmware. I like the Album Art that they just added.

I just hope that the A2 gets better when Cowon releases a new batch of A2s.

Apr 24, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 14
yesssss. album art. that completes the circle. and yes, they do come out with firmware rather quickly. I dont think this is a bad thing at all though.

i finally got the video working thanks to the pocketdivx. now im even more happier with the a2.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back