Movies and games: Beyer or AT?
Oct 23, 2005 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

C38368

500+ Head-Fier
I'd been planning to (someday) land a pair of A900s for watching movies (at least when they need to not wake the dead) and playing games, but yesterday I had the chance to briefly try some Beyers, and OMG are they comfy!

So I dug up that huge closed can review that someone did (many thanks to whoever you were), as I recall both the A900 and a few Beyers being in it.
From reading that, it seems that "with proper amplification", the DT-770 is superior to the A900 in the opinion of the reviewer. Anyone else agree with this?

If that's the case, I've got two more questions:
1) Is the 770 going to be the best Beyer for games and movies (cuz, y'know, the new aluminum-y 990's are awfully sexy...), and
2) What kind of an amp would be "best choice" for Beyer cans in this usage scenario?

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 4
While I don't watch too many movies with headphones I do play games with my Beyer DT770/80s and they are awesome. They seal your ears quite nice and have some great bass and good highs. The mids are somewhat recessed at times but they are there. I primarily bought them for pc gaming and the AT A900s were also on my list due to numerous recommendations here. But the fact I could actually purchase these in a store sealed the deal. So I can't compare them to the A900s but can tell you they are great cans and very comfy. I'm running them unamped for now thru an x-fi soundcard but will try to get a amp soon. Bidding on one at ebay but I got outbid as usual......sigh

Just thought i'd help you out a little......

Oct 24, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 4
I've heard that the DT770s are a bit harsh and aggressive. Is this true? Is this also the case with the A900s, or are they more neutral and laid-back? The review on this site wasn't exactly helpful because of the reviewer's issues with amplification.

And on a scale from "gnat-in-your-eye" to "your-head-inside-the-mouth-of-a-gigantic-shark" how massive are the A900s? They look absolutely huge. Would I ever want to leave my desk with them? Take them on a car or plane ride, for example?

By the way, I'm looking at each of these models as music cans. I don't care so much about movie/gaming applications.

Oct 24, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 4
It's all about the Beyer (and the velour), baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back