Movie: Touching the Void
Jul 4, 2004 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SteeleBlayde

1000+ Head-Fier
Rented and saw the DVD tonight. VERY highly recommended.

And all I can say is: Wow ... what a will to live.

What a crazy series of events too. Going deeper into the crevasse would have seemed like the last place to go for me.

Anyone else watch the movie? What do you think?

Jul 4, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 6
I read the book a couple of years ago and it was pretty amazing.

For him to arrive at camp a few hours before they were going to pack up and go back was just unbelievable. His will to live was beyond belief.

Words don’t fully capture his survival. I highly recommend the book.

Mitch

Jul 4, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 6
My wife and I watched this last night. I don't know,lowering myself lower into the crevasse would have been the last thing I thought to do as well. I don't think he had much choice. I don't think Simon had any other choice either.

Jul 4, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 6
Amazing movie and an amazing book.

I don't want to spoil the experince for anyone who doesn't know the story. Highly recommended!

Jul 4, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 6
i watched this last week at 3 am in a tent in Glastonbury festival, all i can say is that thi movie is just awe inspiring. The Man's determination is out of this world, coming out watching this movie makes me feel like if one want something badly enough and willing to go for it, you will get there.

Jul 5, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I don't think Simon had any other choice either.

Me neither. Apparently he got a LOT of flak for it from the climbing community though. Several organizations even wanted to prevent him from climbing altogether.

According to several interviews and information garnered, Simon eventually had to seek therapy for depression and overwhelming guilt, even though Joe had never blamed him and had frequently stated that he fully supported his friend. In many ways, Joe suffered the physical (and mental I suppose) trauma while Simon suffered the mental trauma for leaving his friend behind.

Edit: If you guys still have the DVD, check out the special features. Some good stuff there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back