Movie: Sunshine (May be Spoilers)
Jul 31, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 22
You should remove the spoiler in your post, IMHO.

I saw this movie Saturday and really liked it. The visuals are absolutely gorgeous -- it's worth seeing in a theatre. The transit of Mercury scene is going to be a classic. I loved how they used contrasts between light and dark to parallel the hot/cold in space (there is no heat convection in space, so it's either bitterly cold in the shade of the shield or super hot from the solar wind radiation, with nothing in between). I also liked how the actors didn't wear makeup, it made it seem very realistic. Some good performances. I actually liked the ending too... I don't think the plot was the issue, I think the only problem people have with the movie comes from the editing being incoherent and unfocused near the end, not necessarily because of the plot twist. They shouldn't have cut some of the dialogue near the end because it would add character motivation (the line "nothing will survive, not your parents, not your children, not even stars" in the trailer was cut from the movie, suggesting there is more that was cut). I would have liked to see it with an extra 20 minutes or so.

Still, great movie, and worth the money.

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 22
It was a fun, far fetched, action-adventure in space until Crispy showed up. Then it was ridiculous. Have we gotten to the point where the Sun burning out, causing the end of all human life, isn't scary enough? We have to add religious zombie-like left-overs from 28 Days Later to amp the excitement?
blink.gif
Several scenes made me want to watch 2001 again. Now that was scary.

My suggestion- watch the first half then do some exploring yourself to another theater and see what's there.

EDIT: And not to blame it all on Crispy, anyone else bothered by humanities existence relying on a group of people with Breakfast Club dramatic emotional problems? I know a film about reigniting the Sun shouldn't be all about realism, but was that writer/directorial step as distracting for you? I won't even get into the oxygen issue.

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 22
The thing is, it was the editing that made the twist at the end seem like it came out of nowhere. The entire movie actually was designed to foreshadow it. The psych officer's peeling skin from becoming obsessed with the sun was meant to indicate a step in the progression towards mental/physical breakdown that the captain's burns ultimately confirm. When we see the video clip of the captain, had that been edited better, we'd sense the link between his facial injuries and what was currently happening to the psych officer, and the audience would become even more suspicious of him... since it was already clear he was slowly going crazy, as suggested by his "Kaneda, what do you see?? What do you see???" urging as Kaneda burns up. Had the psych officer been the captain, it's likely Icarus 2 would have gone the same way as Icarus 1.

Obviously the burned captain was more far gone, but they were closer to the sun. I suspect that he was also obsessed with being exposed to the sun (like the psych officer), and that obsession and his body's adaptation to the resulting physical burns are what made it possible for him to survive the suicide pact that killed the rest of the crew. His attempt to rationalize his survival over the seven years made him even more insane.

Jul 31, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: And not to blame it all on Crispy, anyone else bothered by humanities existence relying on a group of people with Breakfast Club dramatic emotional problems? I know a film about reigniting the Sun shouldn't be all about realism, but was that writer/directorial step as distracting for you? I won't even get into the oxygen issue.

Well, the problem was that they had to have the absolute best in their field go into space, so they weren't given much of a choice in terms of mental stability. Besides, I think even the most mentally stable people would break down under the pressure. 16 months alone in space while the entire planet relies on you, and you know you are the absolute last hope. On top of that your flying into the sun. What about the oxygen issue?

Jul 31, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 22
I saw it when it first came to cinemas. I really liked it.

However, as blessingx said, Crispy was kind of silly and pointless. Though, I did like the thing when the main character asked the computer how many people where onboard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the oxygen issue?

The fact that a fairly small compartment filled with plants could produce a sufficient ammount of oxygen for the people onboard.

Jul 31, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw it when it first came to cinemas. I really liked it.

However, as blessingx said, Crispy was kind of silly and pointless. Though, I did like the thing when the main character asked the computer how many people where onboard.

The fact that a fairly small compartment filled with plants could produce a sufficient amount of oxygen for the people onboard.

They could have been genetic hybrids with a really high growth rates that made them consume more carbon dioxide. Plus since they were so close to the sun, they could have channeled large amounts of UV into the chamber to augment photosynthesis.

Jul 31, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 22
About the crew, they're certainly no worse emotionally than NASA astronauts. No one in the movie drives halfway across the country wearing a diaper to contest a rival astronaut for another astronaut's affections, neither does anyone in the movie get so drunk before liftoff that it could jeopardize the mission.

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the oxygen issue?

It just felt strange that they wandered around in oxygen filled rooms (some quite large) all over the ship, yet an additional person would cause such oxygen deficiency that they'd miss their target by hours. Wouldn't closing a couple doors and condensing the oxygen help a little? Again I don't want this to be all about realism, but a lot of space adventures have this problem (it's like water leaking in on every sub movie) and deal with it so it seems a bit far off to not address somehow, no?

I believe they're debating about a Teflon coated diaper in the sequel. A hybrid Sun-creature/Slim Pickens rides a bomb back to Earth in payback where an eclectic group of hard workin' dentists have to take it out. At some point Liv Tyler (in the diaper) cries for daddy.

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It just felt strange that they wandered around in oxygen filled rooms (some quite large) all over the ship, yet an additional person would cause such oxygen deficiency that they'd miss their target by hours. Wouldn't closing a couple doors and condensing the oxygen help a little? Again I don't want this to be all about realism, but a lot of space adventures have this problem (it's like water leaking in on every sub movie) and deal with it so it seems a bit far off to not address somehow, no?

I believe they're debating about a Teflon coated diaper in the sequel. A hybrid Sun-creature/Slim Pickens rides a bomb back to Earth in payback where an eclectic group of hard workin' dentists have to take it out. At some point Liv Tyler (in the diaper) cries for daddy.

Oxygen doesnt simply get "used up", it gets converted to carbon dioxide, so having it all over the ship doesn't change how fast it gets turned into carbon dioxide, its the number of people (or other non-green organisms) that do.

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 22
To keep it short and simple, I saw the movie and loved it. Danny Boyle Rules!!! Kinda reminded me of a cross between 2001 and Event Horizon.

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To keep it short and simple, I saw the movie and loved it. Danny Boyle Rules!!! Kinda reminded me of a cross between 2001 and Event Horizon.

Agreed. Best SciFi movie since both of those in my opinion. I cannot wait for the soundtrack to be released.

Absolutely gorgeous.

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by null infinity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. Best SciFi movie since both of those in my opinion. I cannot wait for the soundtrack to be released.

Absolutely gorgeous.

The OST for this one is definitely on my buy list. I thought a Sigur Ros song was starting towards the end. Boyle's movies have always had great soundtracks to them. Cillian Murphy is starting to become one of my favorite actors of late as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back