Movie review sites..
Nov 24, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 11
IMDB is often good for looking at others' opinions and analyses of a movie after you've already seen it, but too many of the reviews include spoilers for me to read it before watching a film.

I also use Amazon sometimes as people do write reviews specifically for people who might want to buy or watch the movie. You might be surprised at the quality of some of those reviews.

I like Leonard Maltin's thick movie guide as well -- if you can find a friend who has it or check your library, you might find it's just what you need to see if you would like a movie or not. The reviews are quick, to-the-point (sometimes mercilessly so), and are generally geared to the type of audience that prefers that kind of film. For example, there are shallow chick-flicks that get three or four stars while arty movies with real substance to them might get two stars because the execution just isn't up to the level a movie snob like me might like.

Nov 24, 2003 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 11
I don't know about Rotten Tomatoes. As they're based on "professional" reviews (or am I wrong there?) it" taste is sometimes a little too far from my average-joe taste.

For example I watched "Home Room" yesterday and loved it. While IMDB listed a 7.5 RT had a meagre 47% and 22% in Cream of the crops.

Another review-site I have known and liked for a long time is Planet Sick-boy (http://www.sick-boy.com/).

Nov 24, 2003 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 11
Fastjack: That's precisely why I started this thread: You can't rely on just one or two movie review sites! Thus, the more movie review sites you have, the better.

Even though it can be off a bit, I do like Rotten Tomatoes! I also like IMDB!

Thanks to all of you for mentioning these sites!

Nov 24, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 11
My personal favorite is Mr. Cranky.

I have to warn you though.

He isn't called Mr Cranky for nothing.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back