movie/gaming headphone suggustions?
Jun 27, 2014 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Steffen

New Head-Fier
i'm looking for a pair of open, over-ear headphones for movies, video games(no microphone) and music when using the computer.
it will not be used with any dac or amp.
comfortable and relatively compact.

for music i like the sound of the akg k551 and k271mk2, detailed and not too bassy i'd guess.
but a bit more bass would be nice for movies and games, so we're looking for something in the middle here.

since prices varies from countries, these headphones are an example of the budget i was thinking:
beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohm, sennheiser hd558, akg k272hd, etc.
the budget isn't set in stone, i might go up a little bit.

thanks!

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 4
I'd recommend the AKG Q701, especially if you like the AKG sound. I have gone through a few different pairs of headphones and find the Q701 to be by far the best headphone I've used for gaming. I haven't watched any movies though, so I can't comment on that. I don't think they really need an amp/dac to be driven to adequate volume but they will certainly improve if you feel the need to upgrade your chain at any point going forward.

- Roy

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 4
DT770 and K272hd are not open.

Without using an amp, you are more limited on open headphone choices. DT880, Sennheiser HD558/598, and Phillips X1 seem your best bet.

Q701s can be difficult to drive. Depends on the device and your listening volume. I have K612 Pros which are similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back