Movie/games oriented (good soundstage and 3D sound), detachable cable, good seal, in-ear recommendation?
Apr 20, 2013 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dead Ghost

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, i need some good in-ear monitors for using in a relative noisy environment, primarily for low-competitive gaming and movies with dolby headphone virtual surround (provided by my sound card). So they need to have as good as it can (in my price range) soundstage and 3D imaging. I know these aren't IEM's strong points, but i think some must be better than others at this. I also want them to have a detachable cable, so i can change it if it breaks (or even replace it with a shorter one). Low cable microphonics is a plus, but not a priority. My budget is under 300 USD, but can go as high as 400-500 USD, if it's really needed; best give me two or more options.

tl;dr:
Must have:
-very good soundstage and 3D imaging (for an IEM in my price range).
-detachable cable.
-good environment seal.
-under 300 USD. Can go up to 500 USD, best give me one option in each price range.

Thanks! 
etysmile.gif

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 4
First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Soundstaging, imaging, isolation, detachable cabling - I think you could go either way with this one. The SM3 have a curious but definitely strong variety of imaging. Very much 3D, perhaps even too much so. The lack of a detachable cable would be a deterrent for sure though. The UM3X have removable cables but the imaging, albeit still good especially combined with the separation, is disparate and not nearly as immersive, or at least as central. There's also the EX*00/7550 series which beat out the rest in terms of lateral size and robust (not to mention detachable) cabling, but is compromised by the fit and lack of isolation.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
 There's also the EX*00/7550 series which beat out the rest in terms of lateral size and robust (not to mention detachable) cabling, but is compromised by the fit and lack of isolation.

Are custom (or replacement) cables available for these? Can't seem to find any, maybe because of their proprietary jack. Regarding isolation, can't it be improved with foam tips or something similar? 

Any other options with detachable cables? I want detachable cables because they are easy to replace and customize (for example, a very short cable version for something i need).

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Are custom (or replacement) cables available for these? Can't seem to find any, maybe because of their proprietary jack. Regarding isolation, can't it be improved with foam tips or something similar? 

Any other options with detachable cables? I want detachable cables because they are easy to replace and customize (for example, a very short cable version for something i need).

1) These are detachable, yes. You can try and ask to see if anyone would do a custom job with the Sony screw-on adapters.
2) No, the design of these are the limiting factor, not the seal itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back