Moved to correct location, please delete
Dec 12, 2017 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

fuzzychaos

100+ Head-Fier
Background: I have had a few different earbuds over the past few years, some inexpensive and some semi-expensive. My source is the iPhone 7 plus and a Fiio Q1 (I am open to getting a new DAC as well.)

Westone W4 - Loved the sound, but for some reason they really hurt my ears. They would still be mine if not for the ear pain. It was my first decent earbud beyond the cheap iPhone ones.

1More Triple - My most recent purchase, on a whim, I got them on Costco.com for $60. They sound very good and are really comfortable. They are not the most resolving and they seem a little recessed, but they handle most things well enough.

Nuforce 600x - Got them at Microcenter on clearance for $10. Bass was pretty decent, but everything else was meh. Comfortable though.

Shure 846 - I bought these because of the glowing reviews. I hated them, everything was too sibilant. I tried silicone and foam and nothing tamed it. Mids and lows were good. These also hurt my ears.

My main headphones are the B&W P7 Wireless.

So I am looking to get a new IEM, preferably below $600 (new or used). The less expensive, the more I can spend on a new DAC.

Contenders (so far): Based on my research here and the sites Headphonics, The Headphone List, and Headphonia.

LZ-A4

FLC 8s

Noble Savannah and Sage

Campfire Audio Polaris and Orion

Cardas Audio 30th Anniversary A8

Custom Art FIBAE 1 and FIBAE 2

What I am looking for is something that does not exhibit any harsh sibilance, has decent bass, but not bloated and has great mids and is very comfortable. I listen to almost everything with the exception of country and most rap. Most of the time Jazz, blues, 90's rock, classic rock, prog rock, and New Wave.

I would appreciate any insight or experiences with the listed and suggestions for alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back