Move or Tomahawk
Jul 11, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 20
Well, considering the fact that I read the Move's Bass absolutely demolished the hornet....I'm going after it.

Although, I don't know if I quite understand. It is said the Move doesn't color sound, yet, that's how the hornet or TH have such bass and sound signature, thier type of coloration....but hell, if it sounds very very close to the PRII with bass quantity..>I've found my new amp.

God damn Lisa III may throw a stick in my spokes though...cause apparently, that's trumps everything...*********.....

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, considering the fact that I read the Move's Bass absolutely demolished the hornet....I'm going after it.

Although, I don't know if I quite understand. It is said the Move doesn't color sound, yet, that's how the hornet or TH have such bass and sound signature, thier type of coloration....but hell, if it sounds very very close to the PRII with bass quantity..>I've found my new amp.

God damn Lisa III may throw a stick in my spokes though...cause apparently, that's trumps everything...*********.....

The Lisa III is the reason I sold my Hornet... we'll see if it was worth it... Expedition version in a black case; should have it w/in the next few weeks.
eggosmile.gif
basshead.gif
tongue.gif

edit - La Tulipe - depends on your use, the TH is a tough one to beat for size and SQ but if you plan to use a computer as a source part of the time the MOVE would be a very versitle solution!

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
buy both, audition both, return one?

Be careful, you might end up keeping both...
evil_smiley.gif

It seems to me that the Move has all the signs of being the FOTM right now, though, so try not to get too carried away with all the hype.

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be careful, you might end up keeping both...
evil_smiley.gif

It seems to me that the Move has all the signs of being the FOTM right now, though, so try not to get too carried away with all the hype.

I think that this is correct. I have concerns about the Move.

a) The battery compartment back is awful. The battery keeps disconnecting until the pad that holds it in totally gives in and the battery no longer works unless you push on the cover! Jan has supplied an extra pad and a back that has to be removed if you want to change battery that alleviates this, but it's not very convenient.
b) Funny little volume control knob.
c) I get an intermittent connection by moving the mini jack plugs around in the sockets. (Quality of sockets?)

I prefer the Corda III for sound myself but connection to a power supply is less convenient and it has an even smaller volume knob.

For that reason, I use a Xenos amp more often than either the Move or Corda III.

Ian

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

a) The battery compartment back is awful. The battery keeps disconnecting until the pad that holds it in totally gives in and the battery no longer works unless you push on the cover! Jan has supplied an extra pad and a back that has to be removed if you want to change battery that alleviates this, but it's not very convenient.
c) I get an intermittent connection by moving the mini jack plugs around in the sockets. (Quality of sockets?)

I prefer the Corda III for sound myself but connection to a power supply is less convenient and it has an even smaller volume knob.

For that reason, I use a Xenos amp more often than either the Move or Corda III.

Ian

Smaller classics should have some compromising, but all items you mentioned are not a big deal to me when considering the fantastic sounding. Xenos' sound is far behind the MOVE in practical comparison.

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #11 of 20
I agree. they're minor except for dodgy plug sockets. It may just be mine, but the fit isn't as snug as it could be with headphone jacks and the sound can cut out with a little bit of sideways pressure.

These things could easily be tweaked in the amp design. For instance, a screw on back for quick access instead of having to keep a special tool to open the back. A volume control with ridges?

Don't get me wrong, I like the amp but the FOW feel tends to overlook some things that people may find irritating in the long term.

The Move isn't a Classic yet!

I find the Porta Corda III slightly more detailed than the Move actually.

Ian

Jul 12, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Smaller classics should have some compromising, but all items you mentioned are not a big deal to me when considering the fantastic sounding. Xenos' sound is far behind the MOVE in practical comparison.

iancraig10, for curiosity, may you say if you agree with ManAtWork about the Xenos 3HA being far behind the Move in practical comparison? Thanks!

Jul 12, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kim1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iancraig10, for curiosity, may you say if you agree with ManAtWork about the Xenos 3HA being far behind the Move in practical comparison? Thanks!

I avoided that since I thought it would be better for this Thread. It is not far removed from the Move imo at all. In fact, when I read that, I put them both on beside each other just to hear differences.

The Move has a little more bass content, which is easily compensated for on the Xenos with its bass boost. (If you want to use it that way) The Xenos is excellent and built like a tank. The one that I have is big. 4 batteries last 7 hours. It uses a lot of power to drive your headphones so I don't regard it as mobile as the Move. The smaller Xenos probably matches very closely with the Move if you need portability.

It's just the smaller details of the Move that I have become aware of that haven't been mentioned. (yet) I don't have any major issues with its sound.

I do prefer the Corda though for transparency.

Ian

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

True. Put on the alternate backplate and replace the hex screws with knurled machine screws from the hardware store. It's easy to fix. Why wasn't this done, probably for looks...

Quote:

A design choice I easily live with. I don't fiddle with the volume much. Turn it on to volume, turn it off when done. YYMV.

Quote:

Haven't run across this issue. Maybe my cables are longer so it isn't an issue for me.

Quote:

Agreed, the tradeoff is a little SQ for a incrementally better design.

It's a little early to be consigning the Move to the FOTW. I can see interest hopping to the Xin Reference in a month or two when they start arriving, but that doesn't diminish where the Move sits in reviews now. As stated by others, the top five amps are all great amps; personal tastes shuffle them around more than design differences.

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #15 of 20
I agree with iancraig10 100% on the criticisms of the Move.

I like the SQ but I also get intermittent cutting out with the line-in socket using a high quality plug on the ALO cotton dock. I wonder if a better quality socket could be swapped? (I may look into it).

I also find the volume knob very un-ergonomic - its a combination of its small diameter, slipperyness and close proximity to the headphone jack which makes it difficult to grip properly. I am hoping to find a replacement knob with a grippier surface. On the subject of its proximity to the headphone jack, the sockets, switches, volume control and led are all biased over to the right hand side of the front panel - had these been more evenly spaced, the volume knob would have been more accessible. There may have been PCB layout constraints making this impossible however.

I also found the battery door to be not very good. It doesnt seem to close with a very positive action and on occasions Ive (seemingly) closed it without managing to get the battery to make contact. I cant help thinking that the door will wear out in a relatively short timeframe (the pressure pad attached to the door is very uncompliant so there will be a lot of force between the door and the back plate and in a battle between plastic (door) and metal (backplate) the door is going to lose.

To put things in perpective, I like the sound quality a lot including the USB DAC and crossfeed and dont regret buying it despite its niggles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back