Mouser service
Jan 15, 2008 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

slowpogo

500+ Head-Fier
About three weeks ago I got a black Hammond case for my Millett Max in the mail from Mouser, along with some other items. It ended up being damaged; scuffs, light scratches and one deep one right through the finish. They said they'd overnight another one, but would have to charge me another $27 until they received the damaged one.

The second case was also similarly damaged, it turned out. They said they'd have UPS pick up both cases, and would have one "drop shipped" directly from the manufacturer.

It's been over two weeks since that happened...as of Friday I hadn't heard anything, received another case or been credited any of the $54 I'd spent on Hammond cases. I emailed them and they replied they had just received the cases and they were being "evaluated." Still waiting for news today (Tuesday).

Does this sound pretty lame to anyone else? Not only is it taking forever for anything to happen with this, but after two bad cases they've gotta check that I'm not a liar before they'll do anything. I've spent hundreds at Mouser, and never complained before. And their email was short and terse, "I've received word the cases are being evaluated. Sorry about this."

confused.gif
confused.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 18
that sucks man, but at the same time, they're running a business with thousands of crooked people out there. You know you're being honest, but they don't.

They may be verifying thier entire inventory of cases not just yours. You should still get the credit though. Drop shipping straight from Hammond will probably take a little longer than from Mouser just because they manufacturer may not have them on a shelf like Mouser does.

Stay on them though. The squeaky wheel gets the oil
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 18
I had the opposite experience with them on my last order. My order was supposed to have three Hammond cases for a bunch of Mini3 builds and they short shipped by one.

I sent them an e-mail and almost immediately received an order status update stating it was processed. Then I got another e-mail that the missing case had been shipped.

The kicker was that the original order amounted to around $48. They overnighted the missing case to me via Fedex International at their cost. The waybill showed a cost of $45!

I've found that the Hammond cases generally come with minor scratches and nicks. I figure it's part of the manufacturing/packaging process and just live with it.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kklee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found that the Hammond cases generally come with minor scratches and nicks. I figure it's part of the manufacturing/packaging process and just live with it.

I'm sure they're capable of manufacturing pristine cases. I can live with a few small scuffs or light scratches (even though I think there's no reason not to be sold a basically perfect case); but a glaring silver-colored scratch right through the black finish is unacceptable.

I hear the black finish is more prone to damage, but I've gotten two silver Hammonds that were totally perfect.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure they're capable of manufacturing pristine cases. I can live with a few small scuffs or light scratches (even though I think there's no reason not to be sold a basically perfect case); but a glaring silver-colored scratch right through the black finish is unacceptable.

I hear the black finish is more prone to damage, but I've gotten two silver Hammonds that were totally perfect.

I agree that it's probably not Mouser.

Next time, give Hammond a call directly. You'll probably find that they're quite generous in supplying spare parts - even if you tell them that you were the one that screwed it up by drilling holes in the wrong places.
frown.gif
If it was their defect/damage, probably more so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

yes, the black case is more prone to showing scratches.

it is FAR easier to see the silvery base aluminum through a scratch on a black surface than on a silvery surface. silver on silver VS silver on black.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 18
On the black cases, I use a black sharpie to color in the small scratches and nicks. Fill in the nick/scratch a couple of times, waiting for it to dry in between. Works quite well.

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 18
I was in the same situation as you few months ago. Eventually they send me new case not from manufacturer and credit back my money when they got damaged cases back. But it took a while. Interesting things that the cases were in two protective layers of plastic so there is no way you can see that it damaged until you unwrap it. So my guess my cases were damaged during shipping from manufacturer to mouser because mouser packs everything very well.
Give them time!

Good luck!

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting things that the cases were in two protective layers of plastic so there is no way you can see that it damaged until you unwrap it.

That's exactly it--I didn't mean to sound like I blame Mouser for the damage, because I don't. The cases both looked fine with the shrink wrap still on. And, the deep scratches on mine were under the plastic bevels, so there was no way to know about them without opening and disassembling everything.

It's more the lengthy period of inactivity and poor communication, and withholding what is for me a significant sum of $ while I still have no product. Pretty soon I won't really care anymore what happens, I'd be equally happy with another damaged case or just my money back...maybe they're on to something
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #10 of 18
I bought some black Hammond cases for Mini3V2, it always have few very minor scratches, so no surprise.
smily_headphones1.gif

Base on my experience with Mouser for tens orders, their customer service is excellent.

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Jeeze, now I'm starting to feel like a jerk. "Scratches? Of course your $27 aluminum case will have scratches!" I guess I'm just a picky person, so be it.

You shouldn't feel bad, it's true that almost no Hammond cases come perfect from the factory it sounds like the pre-damage to yours was bad enough that I would have complained just like you did.

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Jeeze, now I'm starting to feel like a jerk. "Scratches? Of course your $27 aluminum case will have scratches!" I guess I'm just a picky person, so be it.

Hey, I agree with you! About three years ago, I ordered a Hammond black aluminum case for a switch box project. I wanted to see why folks here seem to love them so much. Mine arrived just like yours -- scratched, inside a nicely-sealed package. The cover didn't fit well, either. It was warped, and needed some strong persuasion to slide into the slot. I decided right then it would be both my first and last Hammond purchase.

FWIW, I've had excellent results with PacTec enclosures, whether bought from Mouser, or directly form the manufacturer. Yep, they're plastic, but the finish is nice, the parts fit correctly, and they don't arrived damaged.

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #15 of 18
You know what the sad part of this thing is?
To date I have returned 38 Hammond cases and 6 of the replacements arrived in even worse condition then the cases I returned to them.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back