Mouse/window buzzing Lyr 2 amp
Dec 3, 2014 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ericx85

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, having a bizarre problem with my new schiit Lyr 2. I upgraded from a fiio e09k and didn't have this issue. Here's a basic summary.

-when the Lyr2 is turned up to high levels,buzzing and other noises are heard when moving my mouse or when the computer is dealing with tasks.

-problem exists when plugged into sound card or on board audio.

-lyr 2 has no issues when plugged into my phone

-the fiio e09k had no buzzing issues at all, especially when significantly increasing gain settings on the fiio and sound card it was still crystal clear.

What could the lyr be having issues with to buzz but not the fiio?

I've tried moving the sound card and video card to different slots, removing the video card completely, and switching USB ports for the mouse/keyboard

Comp specs:
asrock z77 extreme 6 motherboard
Nvidia GeForce 980gtx
Intel i5 3570k
Asus Phoebus xonar
raidmax 850w power supply
headphones are senheisser hd650s

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 6
Sounds like a grounding issue. It doesn't occur with the Fiio because it is running off low-voltage USB, not AC power. It doesn't occur with your phone because it is not running off AC power.

A couple of things to try:

- Move the amp to a different outlet in your house. Ideally, a different circuit, but that's probably not possible without a 50 foot extension cord.
- Plug the amp into a 3 prong-to-2 prong adapter so that the ground wire is eliminated. This breaks the ground-loop, but it does make the amp less safe, so don't drop the amp in a bathtub or spill coffee on it!

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #5 of 6
So apparently using the 3 to 2 prong adapter killed the buzzing and it's crystalk clear atm. Does it effect the quality at all? Or longevity of the amp? Going to try finding an extension to try it on a different outlet circuit next and see if that solves it as well

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 6
Update: So I managed to get an extension cord long enough to test out the Lyr on another outlet that was connected to another circuit line. When I plugged the amp in and turned up the volume, it gave a low pitch hum. I figured the amp was picking up the circuit breakers electricity noise.

So the next thing I tried was to plug the PC into that outlet instead, since it seems to be the cause of the initial problem of buzzing noise etc while moving the mouse and scrolling. The same low pitch hum came through the amp once the PC was plugged into that separate outlet (the amp was plugged back into the power strip, without the ground lift this time). HOWEVER, when I tossed the power cable for the PC around(lifting it higher, moving it left or right on the floor, laying it on the floor in an inch or two in different directions), the hum would grow or decrease. I managed to lay it down on the floor where the hum has completely vanished and it sounded as clear as the amp was when I lifted the ground from it.

Ground noise is a pain in the ass to understand, and it's something I'm going to try to get a solid understanding of because it sure is annoying as hell. Right now I have everything minus the PC in the original outlet on a power strip with the PC on a separate outlet that runs on a different circuit. I know if the PC's power cable gets moved by even a millimeter the buzz will come back and I'll have to move it around for a few minute to find that sweet spot for it again, but it's probably better than running the amp with its ground lifted.

Appreciate the help everyone's given so far, if the update has given anyone new ideas on what could be looked at still I'm always willing to listen, for the most part the problem seems resolved, even if its a fragile solution lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back