Mouse or trackball?
Dec 24, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #46 of 66
Mouse, I always end up trying to move the trackball...

Edit: What a boring 666th post...
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to be old school you have to be a 3-button user
wink.gif

/me hates how apple and microsoft perverted the mouse into the defiled 1 and 2 button failures that the mouse became

My Amiga 500 had a three-button mouse. :3 It was the first computer I ever owned, back in 1989.

Yeah I realize I was only five at the time. I was a lucky little girl.
biggrin.gif

Related: I used to game with an optical trackball. Shocking I know, but a trackball has something a mouse doesn't have--spin. A complete 180 in FPS games was as easy as a flick of the fingers. It took some getting used to, but the level of aiming precision was incredible. Movement was not quite as nice though.

I know a guy that has both a trackball and mouse plugged into his computer, and he uses the trackball whenever he makes long-distance shots in FPS games to ensure a rock-steady aim.

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #48 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Related: I used to game with an optical trackball. Shocking I know, but a trackball has something a mouse doesn't have--spin. A complete 180 in FPS games was as easy as a flick of the fingers. It took some getting used to, but the level of aiming precision was incredible. Movement was not quite as nice though.

Exactly the reason I went with a trackball back when we had a good Unreal Tournament group going. It wasn't the most precise aiming mechanism but it was effective and the ability to spin quickly got me out of a lot of nasty binds during the game, because I could see the other guys coming much faster than they expected.

Dec 30, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #51 of 66
if i didnt game, i would only use a trackball. too lazy to have both hooked up and swap... gotta have one where you use your finger tips though. forget all that thumb business...

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #52 of 66
I use my Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman for daily tasks, and switch over to my Razer Diamondback for when I play Team Fortress 2. Using a mouse for too long sends shocking pain to my fingers and wrists. Trackballs are great, I wish there were more to choose from though.

May 4, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #53 of 66
I have a mouse and a trackball, Logitech TrackMan Wheel. But i much prefer the trackball. My hands are relaxed with trackballs. I always play on my laptop so relaxation of my hands is something to be considered.

May 9, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #56 of 66
Well, I finally imported a Kensington expert mouse (which is a trackball, of course) and I like it.  The scroll ring is not the smoothest I've tried, but the ball is big, and has 4 buttons and a wrist rest pad.  Is comfortable enough.  I got used to it. Not an eureka! find but I can live with it.

May 10, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #57 of 66
Long time Microsoft Trackball Explorer user. Can no longer understand the existence of the 'mouse.'

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #58 of 66
Likewise. Best trackball I've ever used. MS made a HUGE mistake when they stopped making it. People love them so much, they sell for 3-5X the original selling price and there are even guys out there who rebuild them with new bearings..

Quote:
Long time Microsoft Trackball Explorer user. Can no longer understand the existence of the 'mouse.'

Jun 24, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #59 of 66
I just bought a Logitech TrackMan Wheel today.

It's kind of weird to use but my wrist and hand are more comfortable, so I like it so far.

Jun 24, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #60 of 66
I've been using a Logitech Marble Mouse for the last three years ever since I developed RSI in my left wrist. I went for the Marble Mouse because it's ambidexterous and I'm a lefty.The two smaller buttons on either side can be configured for scrolling. I have occasionally had to use a mouse at friends houses and I find them extremely odd nowadays!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back