?Mounting the Panasonic pot on the PIMETA board?
Oct 10, 2004 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

knestle

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a PIMETA board and am playing around with the pieces I have on hand while waiting for more parts to arrive.

Question: Is the Panasonic pot supposed to mount flush against the board?
confused.gif

I've applied as much pressure as I think is safe, but I am unable to get the bottom of the pot any closer than about 1/8th inch above the board. The six pins are barely showing on tha bottom of the board and look like they would be extremely difficult to solder.

TIA

Have fun

Ken

Oct 10, 2004 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 5
If you straighten out the kink in the pot's legs a little, it will fit all of the way down on the board (squeeze it with pliers).
In my experiance.....as long as space is not a problem there is no need. Because the pins stick through the board far enough to make it easy solderable.
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 5
knestle, the pot is a tight fit on the board. Look at the two tabs that stabilize the pot and you should see that there are "shoulders" on either side that should be flush against the board. You may have to put quite a bit of pressure on the pot and rock it a little front and back to get it to seat all the way. when it is correctly seated, the little bends in the leads will be just about flat on the board.

-Drew

Oct 10, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks guys.

I really butchered the pot on my cmoy project (poor soldering skills, rat shack iron, and tiny unsupported pins).

I choose the PIMETA largely on the basis of its Panasonic pot mounting pads.

The fact that the very first problem I encounter involves mounting the pot is a little discouraging.
rolleyes.gif

Have fun

Ken

Oct 11, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 5
It's supposed to be a tight fit, so it doesn't move around between the time it's inserted in the board and the time it's soldered down. Keep in mind, 99% of these pots are used in products that are machine assembled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back