Mounting an Alps RK27
Oct 11, 2006 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bhjazz

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm figuring out where I want the volume shaft to be on the faceplate for my Pimeta. With the Alps RK27, there is a pin to the left of the volume shaft.

What is the general concensus for this pin: do you drill out a hole for it to sit in to keep the whole pot from shifting as you use the pot, or not?
I dug through the builds thread, but only saw a few shots that would give me any ideas.

Thanks!

Oct 11, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 11
Normally I just cut that pin off.
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 11
I cut it off if the pot is to be board mounted, or attempt to drill the hole accuratly if not. What bothers me more is the metal flaps some pots have, instead of circular pins, as they are more of a pain to drill out.

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewcarlrose
I would always drill the extra hole, it reduces stress on the connections to the pot.

Maaayyybe... What it's there for is to prevent the pot from turning if the mounting nut isn't tight enough. My solution to that problem is to just make sure the mounting nut is tight enough.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole
What bothers me more is the metal flaps some pots have, instead of circular pins, as they are more of a pain to drill out.

Next time you come across one, just grab it in your pliers or wire cutters and break the thing off. The metal those are made of is usually very brittle, so it snaps off pretty cleanly. With wire cutters, you're not trying to actually cut the tang, just grab it with something that will hold onto it while breaking it.

Oct 11, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
Next time you come across one, just grab it in your pliers or wire cutters and break the thing off. The metal those are made of is usually very brittle, so it snaps off pretty cleanly. With wire cutters, you're not trying to actually cut the tang, just grab it with something that will hold onto it while breaking it.

Sorry, I guess I wasnt clear. I should have said that they are more of a pain when I want to use the flap, such as on an Alps RK40 pot that isnt board mounted.

Oct 11, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 11
Very interesting.
At first I figured, "well hell, another hole to drill...whatever," realizing that it is indeed there to reduce strain. But then I realized that the board will be connected to both the front panel as well as two screws which connect to the bottom of the Hammond case, which will likely make it pretty stable all by itself.

I'll be lopping it off tonight, then. I've spent wayyyy too much time with the drill already, and just leaving it there and tightening down the nut on the volume shaft makes to board go a bit wonky...

Thanks as always, guys!

Oct 11, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #9 of 11
tangent said:
Maaayyybe... What it's there for is to prevent the pot from turning if the mounting nut isn't tight enough. My solution to that problem is to just make sure the mounting nut is tight enough.
smily_headphones1.gif
QUOTE]

I see your point however short of putting the millet in a vice and swinging on the nut, all whilst not trying not to scratch anything - the nut on mine insists on loosening so that extra hole has added confidence that it isnt pulling the wires from the board.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Next time i'll use loctight.

Matt

Oct 12, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewcarlrose
putting the millet in a vice and swinging on the nut...

I didn't have anything quite so violent in mind. I just use a nut driver. You can put a lot more torque on it that way than if you use a Crescent wrench. I suppose a box wrench would do okay, too, but the nut being as thin as it is, I worry about rounding off its corners. You've got to be pretty negligent with a nut driver to do that.

Quote:

Next time i'll use loctight.

Loctite (sp!) would help, but I've yet to find it necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back