mountain bikes. trek vs giant
Dec 4, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
not to be obtuse..but is this a good bike? how mucho dinero?

ya that's a sweet bike. The full fox suspension alone would be over $1000. You should also consider the specialized hardrock sport its a very tough bike and looks great. Just remember to keep you wheels trued or you might be spending lots of money on repairs.

hardrock:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12278

Dec 4, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #17 of 29
I think both are quality bikes. I looked at both and bought Kona based on ride, components and frame quality. Could have bought any of those three brands really.
I also have some 80's vintage Univega all rigid MTBs as well as an 80's Cannondale all rigid and those are what I use for family rides w/ the Trail-a-Bike for my daughter.
Look at Kona before you buy but truth be told you probably can't go wrong.
CPW

Dec 4, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #18 of 29
thanks for all the relys...yeah, i think i am going with the treks. and will pay retail but what can ya do...small town not many stores although the customer service was good and everything is assembled and tested for free. althought the store selling the giants had a better deal..coupon off, free tune up and free adjustments....but what can i say...i just liked the trek better.

Dec 4, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20
the name means nothing... youre asking for a generalization... like "grado or sennheiser"

c'mon...you mean to tell me that people cant discern between the two companies and their products? it helps to have a specific product within the line, i agree...but if i had a poll grado vs sennheiser people would be able to choose based on their preference. companies spend major bucks every year so the NAME means something. i submit that if i give you a company's name and you draw a blank than that company has nothing for you.

Dec 4, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

thanks for all the relys...yeah, i think i am going with the treks. and will pay retail but what can ya do...small town not many stores although the customer service was good and everything is assembled and tested for free. althought the store selling the giants had a better deal..coupon off, free tune up and free adjustments....but what can i say...i just liked the trek better.

i wasnt kidding about the schwinns - my wife and i wanted a pair of 1960s Boardwalk Schwinns in matching His and Hers in baby blue metallic with all the black leather saddlebags and everything- but we didnt have 300 to blow on both at the bazaar we went to, rats!

Dec 4, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i wasnt kidding about the schwinns - my wife and i wanted a pair of 1960s Boardwalk Schwinns in matching His and Hers in baby blue metallic with all the black leather saddlebags and everything- but we didnt have 300 to blow on both at the bazaar we went to, rats!

boo hoo....forget that...it is time to slay the dragon!!
actually those schwinns do look kinda cool and they probably ride ok for what i need them for....

Dec 4, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #23 of 29
Trek's are real nice, I prefer their smooooooooooooooth ride to the Giant's, which does not feel as refined. I have an '03 4300, and it still looks sharp, and feels a lot smoother than my brother's Iron Horse Desperado which was $200 more. I outgrew the frame a little, so I'm using the Iron Horse while my brother uses the Trek, which as a smaller frame. I need a new handlebar to get my geometry to a more comfortable level, but I won't spend the money because Head-Fi has my wallet hostage... =/

Trek for stability. That's what their MTB's are really good for, but they're a bit front-heavy. I still love it though, because of the ride. Silky smooth, and no annoying 'clickclickclick' like the Iron Horse when free-wheeling.

Dec 4, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
Giant OCR1. That's a 2005 model so any bike shops that still have them should be clearing them out for under $1000 right now. Or if that's still a bit too close to $1000, get the OCR2. When I was working at the shop, the OCR2 was our best selling road bike for a good reason. I would've bought one myself if I wanted a road bike to cruise around on. Looks sharp, rides well, really good value.

Thanks for the link. I'll have that under consideration.

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

boo hoo....forget that...it is time to slay the dragon!!
actually those schwinns do look kinda cool and they probably ride ok for what i need them for....

You know, Trek makes those types too...

http://www.adamscyclery.com/Cruiser.asp

Dec 4, 2005 at 7:47 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
You know, Trek makes those types too...

http://www.adamscyclery.com/Cruiser.asp

yup...saw those as well....but since the mountain bikes are so comfortable with their shock systems we just opted for those to give us more flexibility now and in the future...but in nyc it is cruisers all the way

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
I think both are quality bikes. I looked at both and bought Kona based on ride, components and frame quality. Could have bought any of those three brands really.
I also have some 80's vintage Univega all rigid MTBs as well as an 80's Cannondale all rigid and those are what I use for family rides w/ the Trail-a-Bike for my daughter.
Look at Kona before you buy but truth be told you probably can't go wrong.
CPW

Univega is a name you dont hear very often nowdays. I have a 1986 Gran Turismo touring bike which has taken me everywhere. The longest tour I ever did on it was a 400 mile trip from Chatannooga, TN to Savanah, GA. That was a lot of fun, 5 days riding wiht gear.

Dec 4, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

c'mon...you mean to tell me that people cant discern between the two companies and their products? it helps to have a specific product within the line, i agree...but if i had a poll grado vs sennheiser people would be able to choose based on their preference. companies spend major bucks every year so the NAME means something. i submit that if i give you a company's name and you draw a blank than that company has nothing for you.

all you asked was trek or giant.
at almost any pricepoint -- excluding the upper ranges -- both companies will have similar offerings.. both are huge companies... neither is going to be different in terms of customer service and support. both manufacture their bikes overseas. one can tout some proprietary tubing based on 7075-t6 and the other 6061 alloy but, to the consumer, more or less, theyre made out of the same material. alivio here, deore there... at the same pricepoint, both companies will have very similarly-specced components.

experienced riders who are looking for high-end bikes know what they are looking for nitpick geometry, fork dampening, travel, etc...

for most consumers are who just looking for "a bike", it makes very little difference whether they go trek or giant (or cannondale or fuji or etc)

Dec 5, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Univega is a name you dont hear very often nowdays. I have a 1986 Gran Turismo touring bike which has taken me everywhere. The longest tour I ever did on it was a 400 mile trip from Chatannooga, TN to Savanah, GA. That was a lot of fun, 5 days riding wiht gear.

Had one of those myself! Never did the major ride I bought it for but had some great weekends on it. Had to practically give it away when I moved to europe in '89. The last day before I left, I saw a guy going down the road on a touring bike and told him he had to come w/ me cuz I was gonna make him a deal he couldn't refuse. We put his bike in my car, went to my house and he took it home. Hope he enjoyed it (think it was 4 his wife).
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back