Mountain bike recommendations - sub $1000
Jun 28, 2007 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Dimitris

Headphoneus Supremus
I have given a racer a ride and I dont think its my kind of thing. Therefore I am looking for a mountain bike in order to cruise around the area and have fun. Can you please recommend me something in the sub $1000 please.
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 22
I've been in the market recently for a bike and I've come to the overall conclusion that it's one of those things that you just need to go to your local bike shop and just try out a few to find the right one for your own needs.

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have given a racer a ride and I dont think its my kind of thing.

I'd encourage you to continue with the road bike for a while longer. There are 2 things going on here that cause discomfort for a new rider:
1) Physical conditioning: Cycling is not just legs, it involves all the torso muscle groups (i.e. core strength) to stabilize yourself and allow power to be routed through your legs. These are cycling-specific motions and uses - so in the beginning you will be sore. Also until your legs get stronger, more of your weight will be carried in the saddle - you will be sore.
2) Positioning: Sit on the bike correctly meaning weight on sit bones, not the fleshy bits. Roll the hips forward by pivoting on the sit bones, not sitting upright and bending forward in your lower back.

There's more to know, get your friend to help, don't give up. What I wrote above is identical to what you will encounter in MTB, possibly the position is more upright but biking is biking.

The aches and pains you feel are not much different than what experienced cyclists in the Northeast feels in February first time back out on the road. Spinning a 39x17 for hours into a winter headwind gives me a sore butt too.

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 22
I would love a road bike to go with my Marin hardtail. If you don't need full suspension, don't buy it! A nice hardtail will be better to ride if you're ever on packed trails or the roads.

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 22
Giant, hands down. I had aluminum for years but I think that todays steel frames are almost as light as aluminum and much more flexible.
Another great frame builder is BREW (Blue Ridge Electric and Welding).

Jun 29, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A nice hardtail will be better to ride if you're ever on packed trails or the roads.

Unless the full suspension has lock out capabilities, then you have the best of both worlds!

Jun 29, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless the full suspension has lock out capabilities, then you have the best of both worlds!

But for a limited budget...

Jun 29, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 22
Consider a steel frame - something like Reynolds tubing. Steel frames last almost forever. I bought a used Marin Pine Mountain back in 1993 and recently gave it a parts update; the frame is a solid as ever. I like that bike so much that I bought a Jamis Dragon Team fram of eBay and built it up. The main difference is that the Jamis has front suspension. I use the Marin as a comuuter bike.

Love 'em both.

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 22
FWIW I've had my Trek 830 new since 1993, It's got a bullet proof Cro-MO frame, it stuck up with me when I was heavy (260 pounds). It's gone everywhere I've pushed it and never let me down. I've also had several really bad crashes, with no physical damage to frame or fork.

Whatever brand you decide to go with I say the minimum gruppo should be the Shimano LX, you really don't want to go below that level. I started with the Altus gruppo which is one or 2 below LX and had to upgrade most of the components the first and second year.

Right now I have been upgrading everything to XT parts, and in the process of upgrading to 8 speed with Mavic Ceramic X517 rims and semi slick tires for paved path riding.

Also don't overlook something that is older and needing upgrading/replacing, as long as you find a decent frame I would say it's almost better to build up an old frame with new components to your specs.

Before some of the last upgrades:
mybikekz7.jpg

Jun 29, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #14 of 22
^

I would agree. Focus on a good frame. You can upgrade components as you choose or as they wear out. A decent steel frame can last a very long time.

BTW - When I say steel I am not talking about the steel used in inexpensive bikes like huffy etc,. I am refering to Cro-Mo type steel.

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have given a racer a ride and I dont think its my kind of thing. Therefore I am looking for a mountain bike in order to cruise around the area and have fun. Can you please recommend me something in the sub $1000 please.
biggrin.gif

you want to spend a grand on a mtn bike to cruise around? i don't get it, if you want a comfy beach cruiser, then buy that, if you want to go mtn. biking get a mtn bike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back