mountain bike, recomendation please
Jul 11, 2011 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sunmermaster

100+ Head-Fier
my old bh is dead, and now Im looking for a new mountain bike

wich one would you recomend for extreme days traveling and mountain?

any online store with good prices? local stores in NY, manhattan?

I want to expend around 500-700 dollars, but I dont know anything about wich one will be recomendable.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 6
For general use, look into a Giant or a Trek imo. Even a Merida would do.

If you were going all out maybe a Yeti :wink:

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 6
What kind of mountain bike are you looking into? Hardtail or full suspension? If you're going full, how much travel do you need? $500-700 can get you a decent hardtail, but a nicer full suspension is probably going to be $1000+.

I personally am a Santa Cruz fanboi. I have a Chameleon (hardtail) which cost me around $700 and a Nomad (full-all mountain) which set me back around $2500.... Best thing in my opinion about Santa Cruz's is that they have integrated bottle openers... good for when you are too tired to do it with your hand :p

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 6
Your budget will get a decent hardtail, maybe not so much in a full susser.  That's if you're looking at new.  If you're amenable to used, there's a whole world of cheap good bikes out there.  Go to the www.mtbr.com classifieds and see if there's any bikes for sale in your area.

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 6
Good call on the Santa Cruz :p.

Another good hardtail I have ridden is the DeVinci Desperado. It is a a bit more pricey and it is kinda more of an "exotic" brand but they look and preform quite nice. If you are looking at a bike just to get around and do some occasional light trail riding, I could recommend the Iron Horse brand of bikes. They are sold here in Canada at SportChek, a large chain retailer and go for fairly cheap (most models under $500) but are adequate for what most people do. That is, unless you take them back country all-mountain and plan on doing 20 foot drops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back