Motown 2532 speakers...
May 1, 2004 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

reeseboisse

100+ Head-Fier
I picked up a pair of these + stands at a yardsale for a couple dollars. The price written on them was $250, but since it was nearing the end of the day, they said "$10 for whatever you can carry." I know that $250 is a rip for these, mainly since in one of them, there's a physically broken capacitor, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen these, or heard about them, or something, and if it's worth it to fix the broken one. I haven't been able to find any info anywhere about these, so anything would be appreciated.

May 1, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 10
Could they be white van speakers?

May 2, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 10
ooheadsoo: I have no clue, but I doubt it. The only writing that gives any indication as to it's model is on the front: the small Motown logo, and beneath that is printed a large, somewhat utilitarian looking model number, 2532. At the top, above the tweeter, it says "Laminar flow vent speaker system" then below that, "U.S. PAT". They don't look fancy, you can say that.

PinkFloyd: I can try to get one sometime in the future, but it's a massive PITA living without a camera, especially when the object you need a photo of isn't very transportable. I can try to get one soonish though.

May 2, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 10
I dunno, I'm beginning to suspect white van speakers. 1) I'd guess motown is a pretty well protected trademark 2) laminar flow vent or whatever sounds like nonsense 3) they didn't give the patent number 4) it doesn't sound like it even gives the impedence or watt handling specs on the back (does it?) and 5) it sounds like it might be deliberately labelled to make it very hard to trace it back to the manufacturer and seller.

Just a suspicion.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 10
It does smell fishy.

Maybe with some bracing, the cabinet can be salvaged though for a DIY design of your choosing. The cabinet is often the most expensive and hard to do part of making a speaker.

May 2, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999
4) it doesn't sound like it even gives the impedence or watt handling specs on the back (does it?)

Rated input: 200 watts
Minimum amp power: 10 watts
Nominal impedance: 8 ohms
Efficiency: 94 dB
Crossover frequency: 1500hz, 4000hz
Frequency Response: 35hz - 20khz

And then some stuff about the fuse and what to use when replacing.

I seriously paid no more than a couple dollars for these + some decent stands, so I don't really care too much. Besides, the foam woofer surround has a few cracks, which means basically that it's going to completely fall apart if you look at it funny, and that's in addition to a capacitor with one wire ripped out of the end.

May 2, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 10
Yeah, it really sounds like a white van product.

But $10 for a pair of salvageable cabinets is a BARGAIN. Brace that sucker up and see what kind of speaker you can use with the baffle/cabinet volume.

May 2, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 10
Still sounds fishy, actually that's a little more information than you get on the back of most legit speakers, but that's a little better anyway. I actually knew a guy whose rommate bought white van speakers. They were relatively big and had some gold trim around one or two of the drivers. Do yours fit that description at all? The fact that it's so hard to trace it back to any known seller or manufacturer is what really makes me wonder. As well as the use of the motown trademark on a speaker.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeseboisse
Rated input: 200 watts
Minimum amp power: 10 watts
Nominal impedance: 8 ohms
Efficiency: 94 dB
Crossover frequency: 1500hz, 4000hz
Frequency Response: 35hz - 20khz

And then some stuff about the fuse and what to use when replacing.

May 2, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #10 of 10
white van is a generic designation. There are tons of them everywhere. I know that one of my friends was suckered in by a new mini scam. Guy selling speakers out of his mini...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back