Motorola ATRIX sound quality
Aug 29, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #17 of 32
I have a Galaxy S with voodoo sound. IMO is the best "DAP" I ever heard. I can't listen to most earphones if the volume is above -20dB and the sound is so clear, when I started using the Voodoo Control I noticed instantly the better SQ compared to the Galaxy S w/o Voodoo Control.
I'm sure that the Atrix will sound weak(in volume) and based on the RMAA tests, it will distort a lot when on maximum volume.

Sep 2, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #18 of 32
Well I got Atrix and I have to say it is so so... Have not tried Power AMP yet...

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #19 of 32
I'm getting an Atrix in about a week's time so will post impressions then. Will probably use it straight with my reshelled tf10s. Will try the DAC by itself too with a Schiit lyr/Woo WA5 and the LCD2 rev 2s

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #20 of 32
I'd suggest getting into custom roms with the Atrix. The bootloader was somewhat recently unlocked, opening the phone to many custom roms, such as CyanogenMod, which has DSP Manager.
This is DSP Manager, set up for bassheads. Also has loudness compensation and (useless) virtual room settings.

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #22 of 32
There's a pre-release beta floating around somewhere. Good amount of things not working, good amount of things working. Audio is one of the working things, camera isn't I think. Oh well, if it boots, it can be fixed.

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #23 of 32
It is has been almost a week of intensive using... Couple of things to say: installed Alien 4 ROM (with its own theme) with all the bloatware removed. Tried many other custom ROMs. Alien ROM is the best so far.
Have issues with battery, it is discharging too fast. Need to do some calibration and adjustments, people say it helps.After many hours of listening to audio I can say that it is actually pretty good. The only thing I miss is the overwhelming loudness from Voodoo Modded Vibrant. Seems like the dynamic range is pretty wide, I can pick up new sounds in old songs. This is a very promising beginning.  In terms of speed this handset is comically fast (with custom rom). It is faster than my fingers and my thinking abilities, it does usual routine with such an ease that it is seems like if Android is just piece of cake to run :)

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #24 of 32
Alright...
It's been a while...

I installed latest CM7 and I have to say I am pretty happy! Battery life improved, motoblur I long gone , there actually no trace of it in CM7. Most surprisingly sound quality seems better with CM7 , I would say on par with Voodoo Modded Vibrant/Captivate/Galaxy S. 

OFFTOPIC:

I got new cable for my triple.fi s. I got one for10vi model with button and a mic. The cable is much better than the old stiff one from 2009. This new cable is softer  and lighter than the old one. I hope it will last longer. Pressing button acts as play/pause.

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #26 of 32
Yes all functions work. Have not tested HSPA+ though... 
In order to install CM7 you need to do some cleaning with fastboot.exe first. The process is quite straightforward once you have all the necessary files.

Interesting observation: Atrix hisses a lot when on pause or switching between tracks, but once the track begins the hiss disappears (tested on quite tracks).
So far I am happy with the SQ , especially on CM7.

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #27 of 32
UPDATE:

With wifi on Atrix makes audible hiss that can be annoying. However, when it is off, there is no hiss whatsoever! I can not hear any hiss with my triple.fis

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #29 of 32
Update. Although the Atrix is pretty much yesterday's news by now, I'm still really enjoying mine.

It is unlocked, rooted and I am running the Alien v.4 ROM with PowerAMP. 

I came across something great tonight.. out of boredom, I put some 24/96 files on my SD card and.. they played flawlessly. ( ! ) PowerAMP shows bit rate and such at the bottom of the player while running. During playback, it displayed, "96.0KHZ 4722KBPS".. I'm not sure how PowerAMP is reading the file data. I converted one of the FLAC's to Wave for testing, but didn't have the same results. The file just wouldn't play.

I don't know if it's the kernal, the ROM or what.. the files play. Sound great. I'm happy. 

Just thought I'd let you know. I've included a screen shot if anyone is wondering..

My only fear is that the hardware is down sampling.. :/

Update, again: As I'm sure you can imagin, I've been listening to this album ( in 24/96 ) for a few songs, and can watch my battery level drop.. I did put the Audio Buffer and Audio Thread Priority to max too though. May have something to do with it.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #30 of 32
It has been a while...

I sold OG Atrix, bought Atrix 2 due to superior screen camera. Well even though the above mentioned features are indeed better sound quality is actually much worse... So after little water damage 
I sold my Atrix 2 and bought.... "people's" dual core phone, the cheapest dual core phone known as Pantech Burst(can be had for 100><200$ with no contract ). The sound quality is much better than Atrix 2's. So far I am happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back