Motorcycle IEMs?
Jul 2, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #61 of 74
I will go for a different approach. Maybe he does not need headphones with good isolation since he still needs to hear external sounds while riding. I might be dangerous to get complete isolation.

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #62 of 74
I have just bought (arrived about and hour ago lol) some "microbuds" from Sensorcom.

Designed for motorcyclists.  Offering a 20dB+ ambient noise attenuation.

I will probably get shot-down here, but imho with all the wind, road, engine noise, anything "expensive" to enable higher quality reproduction will be completely lost.

They do work really well, so impressed for a £25 outlay.  Will try out the different Microfilament "plugs" which vary the attenuation levels.

Thumbs up from me for comfort, isolation and reproduction :)

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #63 of 74
I can certainly tell the difference between my UM2s and my UM3Xs, even on the bike at 60mph. Whether that difference is worth the difference in price whether on or off the bike, the very existence of this website tells me that there are many people for whom the answer is clearly yes. The better the 'phones isolation from ambient noise, the more likely one is to be able to perceive differences in sound quality.

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #64 of 74
Quote:
With Shure 215s and Westone UM2s and UM3Xs, I've always gotten the best seal and isolation with triple flange tips, but acceptable seal and better comfort with long Comply tips. I also have a set of custom silicone molds that fit on the same phones (with the center tubes from some used Comply tips to increase the diameter of the tubes) but they end up falling off the phones and on the ground too often, and the improvements in seal/comfort over either the triple flanges or the comply tips are marginal, so not worth the inconvenience. Although the triple flanges are my favorites for riding, (partly because you can clean them) I can see how they might be uncomfortable for some as they go pretty deep. In an effort to get more comfort for a longer period of use, I sent my UM2s to In Ear Customs for reshelling, but they haven't finished them yet. I'm somewhat skeptical, especially since the company is totally unresponsive (see the thread entitled "Cheapest Reshells..." for a recounting of the lovely customer service of this company) but if the result is good, it will be worth it given the relatively low price. I'm pretty sure that a custom is the way to go for comfort and seal, and if I had the wherewithal, I'd probably go with the ES5s, or maybe the JH13s. I might have gone with having my UM3Xs reshelled as they do sound way better than the UM2s, but didn't because:

1) They're still under warranty and I don't want to void it;

2) My skepticism re: the results; and

3) I couldn't face sending my favorite iems off into the apparent black hole known as "In Ear Custom" for an unknown period of time.

I'll post the results when (if?) I get them back. As to the wisdom of iems on a motorcycle, In 30 years, I've never had a helmet that attenuated any appreciable amount of the wind noise from riding, and have the hearing loss to prove it. Said wind noise pretty much blocks out most other sounds anyway. I have however noticed that I've been surprised by emergency vehicles because I heard them late, but the same thing happens in a car with the stereo on so.... (shrug).

Received my reshells and although I'm thrilled with both the SQ and the comfort in any other context, under a motorcycle helmet they hurt after a half hour. They fit great, I think the problem is with the material, which is a hard acrylic. For me at least, for use under a helmet either silicone ciems, or maybe the Westones that are an acrylic shell with a softer nylon end is the way to go. I'm really enjoying the improved SQ and the comfort off the bike though.

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #65 of 74
i really am flabbergasted to see you guys want to ride around with IEMs listening to music. Its bad enough that you are fully vulnerable when out on the road and have to watch out for them murderous cagers and bambi as it is, why distract yourselves yet more? 

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #66 of 74
Quote:
i really am flabbergasted to see you guys want to ride around with IEMs listening to music. Its bad enough that you are fully vulnerable when out on the road and have to watch out for them murderous cagers and bambi as it is, why distract yourselves yet more? 

I'm not any more distracted by listening to music on a motorcycle than I am listening to music driving a car. The fact that I'm hearing it through iems instead of speakers doesn't change the level of distraction one bit, at least for me.

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #67 of 74
Quote:
I'm not any more distracted by listening to music on a motorcycle than I am listening to music driving a car. The fact that I'm hearing it through iems instead of speakers doesn't change the level of distraction one bit, at least for me.

Well listening to music in the car is a distraction too. What is interesting is taht I see a lot more folks driving with IEMs or headphones on. 

I for one want to stack the odds in my favor as much as possible when I am ont he road, especially when its on two wheels.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #69 of 74
not that I don't listen to music, but I do. THen again I'd be lying if I said my concentration isn't split , especially when changing CDs or tracks or fudging with the EQ.

THis happened yesterday..

Classic left turn into bike path . Truck driver killed after motorcyclist got launched into the truck through the windshield. Imagine if you are listening to music and having your concentration split, on a motorcycle you have to be on high alert and ride like you are invisible to everyone else. That split second lapse in concetration might be your last otherwise. 

Story here

I just quit riding on the street this year after losing 3 good friends in the last 12 months due to inattentive cagers. Trackdays and shredding up the trails on a dirt bike is way more fun.

Take it how you will man. I will quote you what a brotha quoted me.. "If you ride a motorcycle, you are my friend. If you ride with me you are my brotha." Just watching out for my friends. Rubber side down mate. Cheers

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #71 of 74
I really like these IEMs. If I had to do it over again, I'd look for a more bassy IEM to compete with the low freq wind noise buffeting, howver I'd probably still end up with the A161P's due to price and their high isolation rating. Unfortunately my music source on the bike does not have an EQ though and I am lacking some bass. They still sound great though.

I tried using the double and triple flange tips, but they were too uncomfortable with the helmet earpad pushing on my ear. I am using comply foam tips that are the highest isolation type. The isolation is as good as I think I can get comfortably, but ideally (for me) it would be better. The sound quality on the MEElectronics A161P, especially the clarity in the highs and accuracy of the bass, is exceptional, especially for an IEM under $70!

I went with the MEElectronics A161P. They sound very balanced to me. With about 2 db increase at 60 and 250 hz (slight increase), they sound perfect to my ears. Very clear. I haven't tried them on the bike yet, but the isolation seems very good. I will report back after my 8 day ride and let you know what I think.

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #73 of 74
I have used a whole bunch of cheapies (sony, jvc, panasonic, ect) while riding. They do ok. Best so far si the Koss IL200. Hooked to my phone it actually works for phone calls ok as well. due to mike being high up (almost inside the helmet)

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #74 of 74
Hi all,
    great thread..  
         I'd like to add my two cents worth too please....
               Over the years, while riding bikes I have used many brands - shapes and sizes of IEM's. Here is my conclusions with regards to MY own experiences while riding. So please find this impartial as it represents personal listening tastes and the main reason of my often bias opinions that any (decent) "IEM" - will give, you,  the immediate party a deeper and more rewarding, immediate experience then any type/and or style of headphone available, when ALL is weighed up.
---- I mean really? you don't need a stylish set of Marshal Minors cause your wearing a helmet, right? and why so too an expensive and, rightly so cause they DO sound great- Shure 535's cause hey your not in a sound booth either! that and I'll be damned if could or even would indulge my 'sound' concentration so, to compare any to my normal use Senn HD590's. Simply because, well I don't want to be another road casualty. 
So I started with 'you get what you pay for' approach, this coupled with the detailed reviews and conclusions found right here at HEAD-FI.org (keep it up guys...awesome work).
      I thought up or a few decision breakers and came to this conclusion...
                                                  Firstly I knew they probably would have a linear life expectancy due to normal wear and tear. Same as any motor vehicle would have before it needs servicing,  replacement parts etc...
         Replacement IEM's are then always on the cards so until anyone can come up with a set of indestructible set that sound great without taking away "ALL" the road/vehicle noise and still be affordable .....hmmm,....well not yet anyways.
         So taking this into account, that is ($ spent) -to- (time travelled/hours used), my list was narrowed and/but also included these;
                                                 Klipsich S4II, Shure 215,  Etymotic MC5, UM400, Senn CX400II and so on,
                                                                                                                                                        ultimately decided due their ease of availability. (All of these were tried/used with varies ear flanges and foams, testing for the best isolation versus that which I essentially need to hear, such as emergency vehicles with sirens and wayward traffic etc..) Please keep in mind this is all my personal taste- so in saying I tend to listen to everything from bands like Dire Straights and Pinkfloyd through to electronica from Clannard to Tiesto and now including Dubstep oh with a lot in between of course.
        Not a final conclusion but right now I have been using and with settled with a pair of Phillips (of all brands....) SHE 9750's. These are harder to find now though, but you'll find they have a nice texture gel coating covering the "bud" casings which mould tightly into the cupping of your outer ear canal when firmly pushed in. This in turn seem to always hold the channel pipe and flange/foam ear bud snugly in place even while slipping on your helmet and throughout the trip.
            They give so far an unrivalled 'out of the box' enjoyment that still gives great road/ traffic ratio. Oh and the best part is,  at $29 a set you can go through 2 sets per year and still afford a set of say JVC HAFX-500's, for the bus journey when it rains of course.....lol 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back