Motorcycle help (Noise cancelling)
Jan 18, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally understand your situation Davicho, I would try the Westone UM1...Very comfy and they isolate very well. And they do not stick out at all so wearing a helmet shouldnt be a problem. The price is not bad either.

Thank you, sir! That is what I have been looking for... Almost a 30DB attenuation of outside noise, that's great! Even it will take some saving but I think I am on the right track!

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #18 of 48
What you might want to try is something like musician earplugs like the er20's.

If I understand the principle - they are meant to block dangerously loud sound levels but allow you to hear normal sounds.

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #19 of 48
Yes that is what I would think. You want to lower the noise to safe levels but completely cutting off sound is not only very hazardous it is also illegal in more then a few states.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #20 of 48
Because of my parents job i've seen so many cases of road accidents. Some of them indeed has motorbikers with earphones involved. You will never know what ur instinct reaction would be when u were "startled", no matter how confident you are in normal situations. Trust me you won't want to wear the earphones anymore after seeing all those stories & pics.

Forgive me if i sound annoying. No bad intentions.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davicho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you, sir! That is what I have been looking for... Almost a 30DB attenuation of outside noise, that's great! Even it will take some saving but I think I am on the right track!

You are very welcome!

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #24 of 48
Great, more things to worry about.
angry_face.gif

Next time I'm on the road I'm gonna have to also think about some wanker not hearing my car(or that train, semi truck, or plane landing on the river
very_evil_smiley.gif
) because they have their ears stuffed up listening to music. Nice.
mad.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #25 of 48
Tried it. As noted, "noise cancelling" on a motorcycle does absolute squat.

Go with the noise isolating as noted by others, or helmet speakers with earplugs (my next attempt). I think I'll be going with the J&M Bluetooth, because earbuds / IEM's with a helmet get old REAL fast.

Short hops around, no problem. 5000 miles and 12 days later, my ears were simply killing me from the pressure the helmet applied to the hard enclosures. I was thankful to give up the music just to be able to put nice, soft foam earplugs back in my ears. I hope I can get the J&M's under the liner so they give no pressure.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great, more things to worry about.
angry_face.gif

Next time I'm on the road I'm gonna have to also think about some wanker not hearing my car(or that train, semi truck, or plane landing on the river
very_evil_smiley.gif
) because they have their ears stuffed up listening to music. Nice.
mad.gif

You would be surprised how many bikers are currently using ear plugs or IEMs...

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would be surprised how many bikers are currently using ear plugs or IEMs...

does a lot of people doing it make it the right thing to do?

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #28 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does a lot of people doing it make it the right thing to do?

I am not trying to justify whether or not it is the right thing to do.

We do not know how high of a volume he listens to, we do not know if he will be using them for just cruises or in the city. It is simply his responsibility to know the law and to know how to use the IEM safely.

He had a problem, and I tried to provide a solution.
icon10.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #29 of 48
True, this is a headphone forum, and headphone advice was given. AFAIK, this isn't a legal/legislation forum, you'd have to check your local laws as far as rules for when you're on the road.

However, more times than not, this also is a headphone safety forum as well. Countless posts have come up over "safety" issues like loud volume and ear health/hygiene. I think this falls into the same category, as any small screw up on the road can lead to death, especially on a bike. I'm very dubious of idea that it is "safe" to wear earplugs/IEMS. The idea of these devices is to reduce sound, or reduce background sound in the case of IEMS. The last thing you want to do on the road is reduce sound. Especially in the city. And I wouldn't be so quick to write off back/country roads. The worst possible thing to do is to "let your guard down" and adding isolation or music to the picture only makes it worse.

Solid Snake-no offense to you, my comments are directed at the OP, since they brought up the subject and along with recommendations need safety advice.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #30 of 48
I will always say that on the road speakers are the way to go......though at high enough volumes those can also create a safety hazard. But if your looking to protect you ears from the noise get some custom ear plugs which are designed to let stage bleed (or ambient noise) in then use the filter you feel is is the best compromise between safety and performance and go with that. Also those will be flush with your ears so a helmet should not be a major deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back