Motorcycle helmet use JH13 vs universal IEM
Mar 3, 2010 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dorcus

New Head-Fier
Hi, first off I would like to say what a wonderful resource head-fi is and what incredible amounts of knowledge there is being constantly offered by members, etc - I've been a long time lurker
o2smile.gif

Also, I have tried searching to the best of my abilities...I think...
ph34r.gif

Anyhow... I've read here and elsewhere that wind noise on the highway using a full-face helmet exceeds 100 dB which we all know causes crazy quick hearing loss (I currently use foamies all the time)...
confused_face.gif

I'm really taken-in by the hype surrounding the JH13 and have read somewhere that for universal IEM's, the Westone 1 or UM1 or 2 or UM2 fit best under a full face helmet...so... in actual fact, the JH13 or UM1 could be replaced with any other custom/universal IEM for comparison purposes
ph34r.gif

Anyways... some of my questions are:

- for blocking general city traffic noise (especially high freq squealing truck brakes, air brake releases) what would be better: JH13 or UM1?
- for blocking highway wind noise which would be better? Also, since highway wind noise can have substantial low frequency components that could be heard through bone conduction, would a foam tipped UM1 isolate better than a hard acrylic JH13 in such a case???
- speaking of which, what would be better in motorcycle use, foam or silicone tip for UM1? I assume the foam since mfg claims more higher db blockage (although at what freq?)
- could anyone confirm that a UM1 fits under a helmet just as well as a JH13 (which is completely flush with the edge of the ear in fan galleries)?
- of the 4 models: 1/UM1/2/UM2 which one juts out of the ear the least assuming using the same ear for fitment (this may be hard to answer
ph34r.gif
)
- lastly, has anyone compared IEMs with musican's earplugs like the Etymotic Research ER25 for motorcycling use (in terms of city/highway noise isolation/enjoyment) I know this'll depend on such things as exhaust note vs music quality
darthsmile.gif

Thanks in advance!!!
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 5
I have a pair of the UE 5 customs that I picked up after the universal IEMs kept falling out whenever I would try to put my helmet on. I ride with them in on long rides to keep myself from going deaf and keeping myself occupied to some extent. Check the laws for your state though, I know here in MN its legal to have one ear occupied supposedly. If you want to chat with anyone(if theres someone on the back or a riding partner) good luck! They do such a great job of isolating road/wind noise that you can almost hear the engine again. Regardless I enjoy the customs immensely, the only qualm is in my particular helmet the wires sometimes catch the padding on the way out. It helps when you can listen with very minimal volume

Mar 7, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/c...riding-441661/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/thi...helmet-432037/

I can't comment on the topic, as I don't listen to music even cycling, these links are just for your information.

Thanks for the info KLS - I had read the 1st thread b4 posting, but not the 2nd one. It seems the Westones don't cut it for highway wind noise, then. That's good to know...
frown.gif

Now I just have to determine if a custom IEM like JH13 or UE18 with rated -26 dB of isolation would cut it for highway wind or if I should just stick with foamy ear plugs.
confused_face_2.gif

I'm curious about ur other point: any reason why u don't listen to music while cycling? Is it because the microphonics from the wind going around the headphone/wire are noisy? I'm also interested in wearing IEM's while cycling but am wondering how they are affected by high speed air movement.

Mar 7, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbecks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of the UE 5 customs that I picked up after the universal IEMs kept falling out whenever I would try to put my helmet on. I ride with them in on long rides to keep myself from going deaf and keeping myself occupied to some extent. Check the laws for your state though, I know here in MN its legal to have one ear occupied supposedly. If you want to chat with anyone(if theres someone on the back or a riding partner) good luck! They do such a great job of isolating road/wind noise that you can almost hear the engine again. Regardless I enjoy the customs immensely, the only qualm is in my particular helmet the wires sometimes catch the padding on the way out. It helps when you can listen with very minimal volume

Hi dbecks, that's good to know that they isolate road/wind noise.
atsmile.gif
How would you compare the isolation to well-fitting foamy earplugs @ -30dB?

Would you be comfortable on multi-hour highway rides using UE 5's in lieu of foamy earplugs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back